• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter not engaging problem suggestions?

sheepdog concept

When cold my starter spins sometimes without engaging, it just freewheels. After about 3 or so attempts it will engage and start. After it's warmed up it doesn't do it at all.

This seemed to start about the time I put new batteries in it, don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Does anyone have any ideas what the possible cause might be?

Thank's in advance for any info!

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the shim installed? Also the starter could need a good going through.
funny thing on shims....I have used them and not used them...with never any sort of issue either way.
but it's worth a try.
if the Bendix is not engaging and just spinning, that means it's not extending out far enough to engage the flexplate.
that would be the start solenoid, the armature, Bendix gear...or very possibly the Bendix is out of adjustment.
there is a nut under the large cap on the solenoid houseing, that requires adjustment, it has to be done out of the truck on the bench with a 12v car battery....yes, 12v even though the starter is 24v.

i have rebuilt numerous starters in the shop in the past couple of weeks...

sheepdog concept

when i try and start it will do one of two things

1.) it will not engage at all and just spin

or

2.) it will engage immediately for a brief moment - and then disengage and continue spinning if it doesn't start in that brief initial moment.

would any competent starter alternator shop be able to rebuild it?

thank's for the suggestions, mark

ps i will have to read up on the shim thing i have idea what that is yet.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when i try and start it will do one of two things

1.) it will not engage at all and just spin

or

2.) it will engage immediately for a brief moment - and then disengage and continue spinning if it doesn't start in that brief initial moment.

would any competent starter alternator shop be able to rebuild it?

thank's for the suggestions, mark

ps i will have to read up on the shim thing i have idea what that is yet.

i would think so...it's just like any other starter. Just remind them it's 24v.

it sounds like the armeture is out of adjustment....over time, I could see the adjusting nut loosening up.

Remember, if it's spinning, that means no teeth are engaged, thus it did not shoot out far enough. You do have all the teeth on your flexplate right?

Last edited:

sheepdog concept

it sounds like the armeture is out of adjustment....over time, I could see the adjusting nut loosening up.
that' the nut thing you were talking about under the cover i bet...

Remember, if it's spinning, that means no teeth are engaged, thus it did not shoot out far enough. You do have all the teeth on your flexplate right?
i have not looked at the teeth, but this hmmwv has never given me one minutes problem, till about the time i changed the batteries and right before the old batteries went out.

it is not always throwing the gear out to engage - but when it's warm it never fails "if that has anything to do with it"

btw thank you for your reply's they have been most helpful. mark

Take a look at it when someone else tries to start it and see if its moving as mentioned above. Also, spot on with the "bendix"...that arm throws out the gear to engage. A little penetrating oil would not hurt either. If you end up dropping it....check the flexplate/flywheel teeth. Would also not hurt to clean all conections, especially the grounds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks