• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter only bumps engine after alternator replacement

brazengoat06

So had an alternator fail on a m934a2 and replaced it with a used unit. first time i fired it up was fine but realized i had left the small gauge wire unplugged so of course it didn't charge. shut off truck and plugged it in and when i went to crank it the starter would bump the engine and then stop, then bump the engine and then stop, and so forth. Eventually the engine started and the alternator charged as expected. Shut off truck and unplugged small wire and truck starts fine, plug it back in and the starter only bumps the engine.

Does the PCB receive an rpm signal from the alternator? And yes it was a used alternator.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you look at the wiring diagram?
I would start there.

When I replaced my alternator, the new one (Delco 33si) is a true one wire design.
The other wires are simply folded back and taped since their not needed.

I rebuilt my PCB and it was very easy.
But.....I've also seen PCBs with circuit cards. Mine did not have one.
Maybe yours does and it needs to "talk" to the alternator to function properly.
The TM will say for sure.

brazengoat06

Yes ive looked at the diagram and it appears to have multiple circuits running to the pcb from the alternator. My pcb is a circuit board type as i have also replaced the solenoid inside. the problem is that im not finding in the tm a description of each circuit.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure why some PCBs have that circuit board and some don't, on identical trucks.
Both of mine do not have it.

Sounds like your starting truck fine.
Does the alternator output change any when you reconnect that wire, while truck is running?

74M35A2

OK, here is how it works.

The "smart" PCB's have a circuit board, part of that has a sense portion which is wired to the alternator. This sense wire is specific, and is an AC signal, picked up from inside the alternator before the diodes, where the alternator makes AC power anyway. When the PCB senses AC frequency on this line, it knows the engine is running, and it locks out the starter from being re-engaged.

Sounds like the PCB board is going flaky. Leaving this small alternator wire undone is no problem.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clearly I don't know the 5 ton electrical system like I want.

Helicopters I fly, I know the electrical (and all other systems) in exact detail forward and backward from memory.
Theory, how it works, troubleshooting and how everything works together.

I was trying to help and all I did was show my ignorance in the system.

Its a work in progress
At least the truck won't fall out of the sky.........

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks