• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Problem

CMSGT

I was cranking my 5 ton yesterday trying, just for a couple of 5-10 second cranks to get her going in the cold when the starter quit cranking and now just makes a high pitched noise. Im pretty sure the starter is not engaging and is just free wheeling. The batteries are fully charged, are there any repairs/adjustments/checks I can do for this or am I have to get a new starter? Any help is appreciated.

Boatcarpenter

If you think it is free wheeling OK and getting full juice your Bendix drive my be gunked up and not throwing out to engage the flywheel. I would try to get some thin lube in there first to see if it will clean it up and free it up. Don't know on a 5t if you need to remove the starter or not to get at it.
This is what I would try first if it were my truck anyway, and I felt the rest of the starting system were all OK.
BC