• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Problems

tgarrisoniv

i dont have any pics of it right now but i can get some. I took the 2 1/2 tons out and got some 5 tons and the fittings are on the side of the hub assembly (inside the rim well). It was not my idea, i saw a few guys had fittings on their 2 1/2 ton mud trucks hub assemblies so i asked and now i have them.

As for the starter, i figured out the problem....for some reason when my ignition switch is turned over while the truck is running the starter was still trying to spin! i could not hear the starter grinding over the engine so i ran it like this for a few hours friday night and completley burned up the bendix. the flywheel was fine so i found a new starter bendix at a buddies house and it works fine now BUT i have run the truck with the ignition off or the starter willl continue to spin! relay? solenoid?? totally lost....did i wire something wrong??

tgarrisoniv

where the arrow points, there is a fitting on the hub. closest pic i have of them. i simply drilled out a hole, tapped it, and threaded a zerk fitting into it.

tgarrisoniv

true, im not sure....how can i tell? yesterday , i put 2 brand new batteries in it and went to crank it and it started with just flipping the ignition on once and then i killed it and started it again and had to hit the start button.... can i use any relay to replace? well, any 24v relay that is?:lost:

Katahdin

I'm assuming when you say "ignition switch" you're referring to the accessory switch, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the relay on the engine block was stuck on then the starter would spin even without the accessory switch flipped wouldn't it?

Disconnect the wires to the back of your starter button and test the accessory switch again. I'm wondering if the starter button is shorted out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Could be the acc switch, starter button, or relay. I would hook the DMM to the starter leads and trouble shoot from there.

tgarrisoniv

starter leads read 25.4v, relay reads 25.5v, battery reads 25.6v..... i mean, i guess having the ignition off isnt that big of a deal....my fuel tank is in the back so fuel always gets to the motor...i can still turn my headlights on, my tach and speedo work, only thing i cant read is temp (truck has never overheated) and my fuel gauge. since the gas tank is right behind me, no issue there either really.... maybe i just wont worry about it lol

oh yeah i have to turn my ignition switch off immediately or the starter will just keep spinning.

i think the relay is sticky....maybe not stuck; just sticky because like i said, it does it sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't

jerseyjeep2003

I am dealing with exactly the same issue. :???: When you are idling with the accessory switch on, does the engine kind of lope? I think the starter may have been engaged and dragging down the motor. That was what mine did yesterday, then tried to start it a few hours later and it barely cranks and is really noisy. The el cheapo batteries do have a full charge at 24.8v. And they load tested good. The starter was drawing about 100 amps. What ever you find will probably help me, and if I discover anything tomorrow I will post right away for you.

tgarrisoniv

Mine doesnt lope really but i also have the fuel turned up pretty hard on it. I finally broke down and purchased two new yokam commerical grade batteries. 925CCA with 160RC and it cranks it fine but i still have the ignition issue. as soon as i turn the ignition over while it is running, i can hear the belt start to squeal and i know the starter is trying to turn over. Really would like to resolve this issue though. I went to a local starter and alternator guy any he told me it sounds like a sticky relay but that i should be able to replace it with a pretty universal 24v one. around 50 bucks. I am going to find one and try this and will update. I cannot be the first person to have this problem though!!!

jerseyjeep2003

I took my starter and had it checked... multiple issues, fried armature being the worst. He can't rebuild due to lack of availability. I am now headed to a shop close by that has aftermarket Delco style gear reduction starters pretty reasonable. Hopefully they fit as recommended by my local guy. Will let you know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks