• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Question

1986Blazerk5

When i went to the parts store to buy a new starter they didnt have a 24 volt starter, what happens if you install a 12 volt starter on a 24 volt system

ABN173

order a cucv starter off ebay (not the greatest quality though) then turn your 24v starter in for rebuild.....this way you will always have a spare.

You can find cucv starters on here in the classified section too

1986Blazerk5

is there a way to sent 12 volts to the starter not 24, i have heard that taking the wire from the positive board that goes to the starter and hooking it up to the front battery

ABN173

is there a way to sent 12 volts to the starter not 24, i have heard that taking the wire from the positive board that goes to the starter and hooking it up to the front battery
Personally I'd avoid a 12V conversion. This is mainly because you have all the needed TM's and advice here, once mods are made it can get difficult to seek advice. There are threads on converting to 12V though just do a search

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't you just start a thread asking why your batteries are connected(wrong) in parallel?

Does this have something to do with your starter issue?

I'm confused what youir trying to figure out, or do.

1986Blazerk5

Didn't you just start a thread asking why your batteries are connected(wrong) in parallel?

Does this have something to do with your starter issue?

I'm confused what your trying to figure out, or do.
My gen 2 light does not come on when trying to figure this out, i realized my batteries are wired wrong and i know i have a 12 volt starter not 24 i have a 12 volt starter ever sense i had this vehicle (about 15 months) and i was realized why cold starting in the winter was hard sense i still have the resistor on the fire wall for the glow plugs so my plugs are getting 6v not 12v, i did not change the way the batteries are wired, when my brother was changing the batteries when we bought it, he dropped a wrench on the battery terminal and fried some wires as well as well as the starter than we took it to a shop to have them look at the wiring and i wondering if they hooked up the batteries this way on purpose or accident. also how do i bypass the glow plug resistor on the firewall with my batteries hooked up in parallel?

Hope that helped doghead

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, you simply confused me more!

To supply the GP relay with 12V, simply disconnect the red wire that is between the resistor and the GP relay. Then, resupply the GP relay with a new wire from the relay to one of the 2 studs just above and to the left of the GP relay(test with a volt meter to be sure you are connecting to what I am talking about).

You probably replaced a blue fusible link during your previous meltdown, that went to the stud I am talking about.

If your truck has been converted to 12v, your Gen2(alternator) is probably no longer connected(you don't need it with a 12v conversion). So, your gen2 light will not be coming on

Last edited:

1986Blazerk5

Nope, you simply confused me more!

To supply the GP relay with 12V, simply disconnect the red wire that is between the resistor and the GP relay. Then, resupply the GP relay with a new wire from the relay to one of the 2 studs just above and to the left of the GP relay(test with a volt meter to be sure you are connecting to what I am talking about).

You probably replaced a blue fusible link during your previous meltdown, that went to the stud I am talking about.

If your truck has been converted to 12v, your Gen2(alternator) is probably no longer connected(you don't need it with a 12v conversion). So, your gen2 light will not be coming on
I didnt replace any wiring the shop that i took it to did, but i think i know where you are talking about is it also known as the "engine wiring harness block"? I still have both alts and on the red wire on gen 2 i get 12.56 volts so i think it is still conected, and i think one alt is charging one battery and the other alt is charging the other battery

Last edited: