• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter questions m1009

pinwormfood

guys, i was wondering if the m1009 starter has a jackshaft that pops out to engage the starter gears. the reason I am asking is that when i turn the truck over when cold, I can hear what i can only describe as the starter spinning, but not turning over the truck. i hear it spooling up, but not engaging the flex plate. so i turn it off, and try again, this time, it engages for a few tenths of a second, but then disengages and just spins...(i think it is spinning, but i cant see it). then try again, and then poof, the truck starts. so my question, is this a jackshaft sticking or malfuntioning, or is it a solenoid issue...any ideas? thanks, pinworm

Barrman

The starter solenoid is supposed to push out the Bendix starter pinion drive gear to engage the ring gear on the flywheel. The solenoid also "turns on" the starter. Sounds like yours is only doing half the work it is supposed to. Drop the starter and test it on the ground for very solenoid operation only. Running a 24V starter on the ground can get it spinning very, very fast. Not a good thing.

edpdx

Check out my recently resolved thread. My starter, a newly installed Gear Reduction model, would click at the relay and the solenoid. I could hear a loud click like the solenoid was kicking the Bendix out; but no spin-up of the starter. I checked all my wiring except for the ground where the purple wire starter brace goes. The direct drive, I now suspect, was still good; but the nut holding the front pin to the support bracket had worked it's way off. The brace attached to the block eventually became loose and oil and dirt accumulated between the bracket and the engine block- no good ground surface. I did not give this too much creedence at the time because I thought the mounting bolt were supplying a solid ground. After trying everything else; I pulled the starter back out and bench tested it to find it spun up beautifully. The only difference was that I had grounded the support pin directly.

I added an extra ground wire from the support pin to the chassis. It fires up nice now.

Brush and spray with brake or carb cleaner. Gte a good clean grounding surface- and also remove the existing engine-to-chassis grounding strap and clean it before putting it back in. It will probably do the trick and save a lot of wire tracing- ask me how I know.