• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Re-Build kit?

randini

These types of starters are very easy to rebuild, and there are kits to re-build 12 v starters. Are there any such parts to re-build our 24 v starters? Has anyone re-built their starter (and lived to tell about it)?
Thanks

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There is a rebuilder in Rome, GA that said he can rebuild 24 volt starters and alternators. He must be able to get parts. The name of the place is Poteet's I think. You might call and see if he will give up the source.

MG2936

I rebuilt mine but you have to have a lathe. The bearings and shaft was worn so bad that the armature was hitting the field coils. I refinished the shaft, made special bearings and was good to go. That was 10 years ago and it is still working. There are access holes so you can oil each bearing while on the truck, they are covered by set screws.

brianp454

My truck has had occurances where I got the "click" instead of a start. The 1st time I waited a few minutes and it started normally. The second time I used a piece of 12GA solid copper wire to short the solenoid start pin to the positive cable, after that it's started fine. Do any of you know of a surplus place that has the solenoid and start relay (it's easy to miss these things when digging around on their web sites)?

Jakelc15

Lewis Electric in Crofton Md. does good work and alot of 24v stuff.
Also a delco 40 mt will replace the leece nevill or prestolite starter.
The Cat 3206 in alot of equipment uses the correct delco starter for a deuce.

brianp454

Lewis Electric in Crofton Md. does good work and alot of 24v stuff.
Also a delco 40 mt will replace the leece nevill or prestolite starter.
The Cat 3206 in alot of equipment uses the correct delco starter for a deuce.
Excellent info thanks! The surplus places that do have the stuff seem to be wanting increasingly unrealistic prices. I thought part of the idea with these beasts is being able to get reasonably priced surplus parts... A quick web search of Delco 40MT turned up a bunch of leads alone and better prices. My truck was rebuilt in early '93 or so, but twenty some years start to take a toll. When mine has acted up, it seems like other vehicles I've seen with bad connections, flaky solenoid, sticky bendix, crud on connectors, etc.

Jakelc15

Multi fuel starter
Original pn: 12493623
Nsn: 2920-00-999-6216
Current prestolite pn: M0017072ME

Or look for a 40MT with
12 teeth
clockwise
Standard 3 bolt flange: sae j542 type 3
Delco is easier to rebuild. Solenoid and nose cone can be rotated to fit most any application.
42MT will work as well. Usually draws a little more electric.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There are also gear reduction starters out there. Some have posted about their experience here somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks