• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter recommendations?

custm86

So....I've now gone through two gear reduction starters from an Ebay seller. I've done the Doghead relay mod, and rewired the entire starter sytem. All battery contacts and terminals have been replaced. I'm not going to get another starter through Ebay. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase a heavy duty, gear reduction, 24v starter that will be reliable???
Or have any input as to what could be causing the solenoid to fry?

custm86

Yes, I installed the new bracket on the rear of the starter. I also used grade 8 bolts for the starter too. Local rebuild shops kinda suck. The only one i would trust is about an hour away iin Chicago. Hard to find time to get back and forth.
I will check out that truck supply though. thanks.
How about Ohio Generator, Has anyone dealt with them?

wired1000

I got Ohio Generator to build me a new starter and I love it. Apparently he (Tom) supplied the military with replacement starters back in the day. He claims to have redesigned it to be a lot beefier, and it sure as **** sounds that way. Mine was $199 and that included shipping. I've only had it for a couple weeks, but I'm super-pleased so far. Give him a call. 330-875-6677

chevyCUCV

Grade 8 bolts are not strong enough for the starter

Are you using the ac delco starter bolts? They are special

Part number is all over this site

custm86

Yes I used the part number that was listed all over this site, along with the bracket on the rear. I'm pretty sure they are grade 8 bolts. But yes the exact part number.
I ended up talking to Tom at Ohio Generator. New starter will be shipped in two days. But wow does he hate Bush/Cheney. He had some choice words for them!
Really nice guy though. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Hey "Wired" we should put together an Illinois military vehicle meet sometime!

wired1000

We should. I've seen a couple other M1009's around the city. It'd be good to meet the local enthusiasts and maybe help each other out with parts, repairs, etc.

Tanner

Grade 8 bolts are not strong enough for the starter.
I'd beg to differ on the comment above...

Grade 8 bolts are stronger than the Class 8.8 grade bolt on the CUCV starter.

Don't confuse bolts catagorized by Grade vs Class; You're comparing US to Metric bolt standards.

The GM OEM bolts are Class 8.8, rated: (factory bolt: 10mmx110mm length, 18mm threaded)
- Proof Load: 580MPa or 84,121 psi
- Minimum Yield Strength: 640MPa or 92,824psi
- Minimum Tensile Strength: 800MPa or 116,030psi

Grade 8 bolt rating for similar size: (approx 3/8")
- Proof Load: 120,000 psi
- Minimum Yield Strength: 130,000psi
- Minimum Tensile Strength: 150,000psi

1MPa = 1N/mm2 = 145 pounds/inch2

...that being said, I'd still recommend using the factory bolts -

Diameter: 10 mm

Length under bolt head: 110 mm

Thread length: 18 mm

Starter thickness at mounting bolts: 85 mm (Direct drive/Reduction drive are the same)

Grade of OEM bolts: 8.8

Torque to 30-33 ft-lbs

The above info is for the bolts as supplied by GM (OEM).

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Tanner

Grade 8 bolts are not strong enough for the starter.
I'd beg to differ on the comment above...

Grade 8 bolts are stronger than the Class 8.8 grade bolt on the CUCV starter.

Don't confuse bolts catagorized by Grade vs Class; You're comparing US to Metric bolt standards.

The GM OEM bolts are Class 8.8, rated: (factory bolt: 10mmx110mm length, 18mm threaded)
- Proof Load: 580MPa or 84,121 psi
- Minimum Yield Strength: 640MPa or 92,824psi
- Minimum Tensile Strength: 800MPa or 116,030psi

Grade 8 bolt rating for similar size: (approx 3/8")
- Proof Load: 120,000 psi
- Minimum Yield Strength: 130,000psi
- Minimum Tensile Strength: 150,000psi

1MPa = 1N/mm2 = 145 pounds/inch2

...that being said, I'd still recommend using the factory bolts -

Diameter: 10 mm

Length under bolt head: 110 mm

Thread length: 18 mm

Starter thickness at mounting bolts: 85 mm (Direct drive/Reduction drive are the same)

Grade of OEM bolts: 8.8

Torque to 30-33 ft-lbs

The above info is for the bolts as supplied by GM (OEM).

'Tanner'

Last edited:

wciguy

Class 8.8 metric bolts are roughly the equivlent of American Grade 5 bolts(120,000 psi heat treated carbon steel) Grade 8 (heat treated alloy steel) are 150,000 psi, socket heads are 160.000 psi and grade L9 bolts are 180,000 psi. Any of these heat treated bolts are much stronger than the cast-iron or aluminum housings being attached with them.

On the 24 volt starter problems, the original 24 volt starters have silver alloy contacts in the solenoid to prevent them from welding together when closed. Most of the aftermarket stuff is built too cheaply to include these special contacts, and therefor are prone to the contacts welding together when you start your engine, causing the starter to not shut off and burning itself up. I have built up starter solenoid contacts with hight silver content brazing filler metal (Sil-phos 15 or higher) with good results. Also use this technique to extend the life of 12 volt solenoid contacts.

M1008driver

I used the cnceletrical.com starter from EBAY with a 2 year warranty and also changed my flex plate with a Pioneer one I bought from Oreilly's. Of course I did the doghead mod too. I have not had any more problems. You do need the right brace for the starter since it is a gear reduction.

24V CUCV DELCO STARTER 10461453 10465015 10479611

Pioneer Inc. - Flywheel Assembly Part # FRA142

wired1000

Something else I read (and that Tom told me), is that the "wait" light goes off too soon in these vehicles, and that if I wait another 5-10 seconds *after* the wait light goes out, the truck will start right up. I've found that to be completely true, which will surely extend the life of my starter by a lot, since it takes a few seconds off the running time each time I start it up.

edpdx

wired1000, I gonna call this fellow Tom up and get a starter sent out. Is yours the DD or gear reduction type. Do you have a part number and price? I am in Oregon, so I'll have to call tomorrow, as he is probably gone for the day.