• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter relay bypass

searls84

I've got an M35A2 with an LDT 465 that I'm working on for a friend. It's having starter issues. When you push the start button the engine will start, but it makes a grinding sound as it is turning the motor over. Almost like the starter gear is slipping on the flywheel teeth. I checked and made sure that the starter was tight against the bell housing. Right now I'm leaning towards an electrical short somewhere.

Here is what has been done so far: new batteries, cleaned all electrical connections at the starter, checked grounds, and replaced the push button starter switch. Next stop is the magnetic relay on the block, which brings me to my question. How do you bypass the relay on the block? I've read quite a few posts saying that it can be done but haven't come across one telling me how to do it. I don't know if there are different styles of relays, but the one this truck has has 3 terminals on it. One on top an 2 on the bottom.

Also any thoughts on the grinding issue would be very welcome!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The grinding sound may be your starter pinion gear not engaging as you stated, caused by trying to start the engine with low batteries or poor battery connections. Sooner or later this will result (image):2008 0722 xm757 worn starter pinion gear.jpg

You may need to replace the starter motor.

Do not bypass the starter relay, it's there for a reason, to keep from burning up the start push button.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks