• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Relay

mangus580

No, a civvy truck does not have such a relay. Napa relay # AR-135 (search the forums, you will find more than you ever wanted to know about this relay)

Its actually a 12v heater/AC relay :)

Armada

Thanks Mike. I saw that number and printed the thread off, but thought the local dealership might carry the starter relay if the voltage was the same. So the military uses a 12v relay? Napa is quite a bit farther from me, but I'll call them to see if they have it in stock. So why don't the civy trucks have that starter relay?
Most everything else is the same. Do they use something different ?

mangus580

Autozone carries a relay that works too. As well as others I am sure. Just have them cross the #.

the relay basically switches the 12v start signal to 24v for the starter.

Armada

The local Autozoo had no clue as to what a GP40 was..... and no cross to a Napa AR135.
Went to Carquest and they had no cross for a GP40 either, but gave them the Napa # and it crosses to their p/n RY117. It mounts a little different and there is an extra prong on it, but it fits the connector on the m1009 and starts the vehicle. I also ordered the OEM relay from FLM.

devilman96

For future info... There are a VAST number of relays out there that will fit / replace a AR135... They are also made in 40 and 50 amp versions which would prolly be a better replacment for that application.

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Starter Relay

You can also get auto relays from Radioshack. I may have one on my junkvee for you Paul. I will check tomarrow. When I was cutting my dash for my radio I thought I had cut into wires because the starter engaged and was turning the engine over. When I stopped cutting it stopped turning over until I started again. The relay is just under the opening for the radio and the vibration of the air rip saw was making the relay make contact.

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Starter Relay

I got to thinking about this. I think it is the same relay used elsewhere in the truck. I think it is the same relay as the horn relay. I will take a look tommarow to confirm this. If this is the case just get a horn relay.

Armada

The starter relay is different Chuck. There are a number of the same Bosch relays that are used for other cicuits, and they are mounted on the same bracket.
This is what the aftermarket starter relay looks like. There are 2 failures for these. Not working, and stuck on. So if your starter runs off on its own, unplug this or the batteries.

Attachments

ida34

I have yet to be able to check the junkvee. I got detained this morning. I will check for you tommarow or Saturday at the latest.

Chuck

Armada

Yes. There are only 4 wires on the harness, and 4 terminals on the OEM relay. The 5 pin aftermarket relay does plug into the harness though, and it works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks