• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

STARTER RELAYS

lvser

A does anyone know the part # for the starter relay that is located under the dash on my M1009 mine is starting to stick I guess after 23 years those will go bad if anyone could help it would be a blessing

gt1009

Hey I just changed mine today.
Autozone was AC40. Its really like a heater blower relay

Not to hijack a thread...but...
I was getting no noise from my starter yesterday. I changed my starter relay and tried to jump the truck. Now i just get repetative clicks at probably 1/8 second intervals. Does anyone know what I should check next? The starter turned one turn out of about 4 tries.

lvser

A THANKS THERE gt1009 THAT WAS A BIG HELP THE NUMBERS ON MINE WERE GONE FOR YOUR PROBLEM SOUND TO ME LIKE THER ISNT ENOUGH VOLTS GETTING TO THE STARTER MY 24V ALT HAS BEEN OUT FOR MONTHS AND WHEN MY REAR BATTERY GETS LOW IT WILL DO THE SAME I WOULD CHECK BOTH BATTERYS FOR PROPER VOLTS AND CRANKING AMPS AND CHECK THE MAIN HOT CABLE GOING TO THE STARTER HOPR THIS HELPS :D

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought one from GM for $40. It's PN15591718. But to my dismay i saw them listed on FLMV's site for $28.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I read this post last night. Today I went out for a little offroad trip. For the first time ever, I left my cell phone at home. About ten miles out, I pulled off the trail to take a break. When I got bact into my truck, it would not start. So after several hours of doing wiring 101 for my life, I discovered that you can pull the relay and jump the red to purple, and wala the CUCV runs. SO now I am looking for the correct part. According to the pictures at Kragen and NAPA the AC40 has 5 pins. The AC delco factoy part # has four, like my truck. The AC40 is about half the price. Can I get away with the AC40???

Attachments

ida34

I am sure the cheaper one has an extra terminal for an normally closed positon and it opens then the relay is tripped. Using it should not hurt anything. The side we use in the cucv ignition is the normally open and it closes when it is tripped. By open I mean that the conductive path is not connected and closed means the contact points are closed together giving a conductive path.

84cucv1ton

OK so what does it do? the m1009 i was just given had that part in the pic sitting on the floor. would not start up. put it in when i found it. fired right up. thanks

ida34

The starting system needs 24 volts to trigger the starter. The relay takes the 12 volt pos from the stock ignition switch and uses it to trigger the relay in question. This then supplies 24 volts to the starter. Does this make sense?

ida34

I almost forgot. Sometimes the relay sticks and keeps the starter going. This has fried a few starters. If the starter keeps going pull the plug from this relay.