• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter removal

l1a1man

Have this unbloted and all wires removed. Now it is so tight under there we can't pull it out. How is it done? Also I have a spare starter for my 1009 we were going to put in the 1028 but it looks smaller. Is there a diffrence? Thanks for your help.

Midnight Rider

Have you read through the TM's? That's where I would start, I haven't had to do this myself so that's the only help I can offer.

I would think removing the bolts would let the starter just about drop out. Maybe it is in a bind?

The starters should be the same between the 1028 and the 1009, if they are the factory ones.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Requires patience and a sailor's vocabulary! It won't fall out, but it will come out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have this unbloted and all wires removed. Now it is so tight under there we can't pull it out. How is it done? Also I have a spare starter for my 1009 we were going to put in the 1028 but it looks smaller. Is there a diffrence? Thanks for your help.
You can always pull the engine.....:p

Sometimes removing the front drive shaft wiil help.

There are two types of staters, the old direct drive and the newer gear reduction. Make sure you use the correct support bracket when you put it back.

Last edited:

l1a1man

No, we removed it there is no room with the axel, driveshaft ect to pull it out. It is sitting on the axel. Hoping someone has experienced dropping it out. And trust me, my son and I both used the saiors vocabulary.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack up your frame a bit.

SGT Estum

Ditto on jacking up the frame and taking off the front drive shaft... that's what I had to do. Also the 27MT starter is quite heavy, so make sure not to stop it with your face when it finally submits to gravity.

I got new starter bolts from gmpartsdirect.com. The GM part number is in the -20P manual.

Barrman

If you don't have a way to jack up the frame, then jack up the drivers tires and put a block under the tire or jack stand under the axle. That should give you enough droop on the passenger side to get it out.

edpdx

Just changed out my direct drive starter for a gear reduction starter. Did mine in a rain-soaked gravel driveway. I followed the advice I found here and jacked the body up. A hi-lift under the brush guard and some jackstands. 3-6 pumps and I was able to remove the nuts from the support bracket at the starter. Then without un-hooking it I unbolted the two starter bolts; support and slide the starter rearward along the driveshaft- I had to rotate it this wan and that to get the solenoid through.

TIP: Scour the mating surfaces for the main mounting bolts, the support bracket and add a ground wire to the mount screw where the it passes through the support bracket. I had my starter in twice without the added ground and it would not spin until the ground was solid.

TIP 2- Use wheel chocks and well-placed jack stands and emergency brake. I go 240 and I tell you it is scary to imagine kicking the jack out by accident.

lavarok

Did you remove the flywheel cover? It makes the job easier without removing the driveshaft. In the past, most of the starter r/r I was doing was because of oil pan or rear main seal replacements so the flywheel cover always came off first.

The last starter I swapped was on an '08 and it can be done without removing the cover or the drive shaft, but it takes some maneuvering. Its a puzzle as it will only go in and come out one way.

Make sure you check your motor mounts when your under there. If the passenger side mount is bad it may a] not give enough clearance to remove starter and b] pinch or break a fuel line on the passenger side frame rail.

Good luck!

erniemigi

you really shouldn't have a problem getting it out, we took the starter out of my M1009 without a prob, didn't need to do anything else, just took out the 2 main bolts, undid the wires, took off the rear support bracket, slid it towards the front a little and it dropped right down, now if your support bracket is still attached to the starter you need to get it off of there first

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks