• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter runs as soon as battery connected.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
First question... Did it ever work? That version uses a slave relay to drive the starter control 24 volt feed 74A. Very poor design based on multiple relays contacts ganged together to save a buck. Note Chinacom.

From your trouble shooting skills are (y)(y)(y). You have walked it back to the problem.

From the Camoteksystems file here are a couple snap shots. Typical of the 1000 thing to go wrong at anytiime. Smart "that hurts" boxes.

IMG_0981.jpg IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0978.jpg JUNK IMG_1234.jpg

What goes "SNAP" in a smart box, CAMO... he has solutions.

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
74A from starter....goes into EESS box pin { i } and out pin { A } as 14B to neutral switch...then out as 14A to start switch.
I've had bad start switches that had contacts rotated inside .

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
74A from starter....goes into EESS box pin { i } and out pin { A } as 14B to neutral switch...then out as 14A to start switch.
I've had bad start switches that had contacts rotated inside .
Hey there 86HUMV. Happy NEW Year. That's true... a jacked up NSS would be a problem starting... But OP has 28 Volts all the time. So my big guess is NSS is OK. Voltage feed is out of box and yes thru NSS. That KDS has the "lock out starter feature" (and could be wonkie processor, stuck relay... anything)

To see the effect, switch it in gear and see if starter disengages. Follow my thinking 🤔

Thousands of semi conductors all working to start a old truck...

What were they thinking, CAMO

MY BAD I reread your post.... YEP a spun up stop-run-start switch would do it but but but OP removed the 'BODY' connector and still had the JUICE.

I would throw in my calling card. here... but I think they got it. CAMO

Last edited:

J.O.A.T-M.O.N

First question... Did it ever work? That version uses a slave relay to drive the starter control 24 volt feed 74A. Very poor design based on multiple relays contacts ganged together to save a buck. Note Chinacom.

From your trouble shooting skills are (y)(y)(y). You have walked it back to the problem.

From the Camoteksystems file here are a couple snap shots. Typical of the 1000 thing to go wrong at anytiime. Smart "that hurts" boxes.

View attachment 887687 View attachment 887688 View attachment 887689 JUNK View attachment 887690

What goes "SNAP" in a smart box, CAMO... he has solutions.

It hasn't worked since I've owned it. I don't know if it ever has. Thanks for the pics. I may pry a few relay covers off and see what they look like since it's junk anyway. What kind should I look for to replace it? I've seen the ones with a manual button for the glow plugs (like my old farmall). Are they worth looking at?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. It's a welded contract on the relay inside the EESS. Thank you.
I have some old KDS smartbox relays. Let me know if you want or need them. I would just rebuild the unit with the plans I posted, but if you wanna do you I might have the relay you need. PM me if you want that route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks