• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter solenoid 003a

Razerface

Well, i broke the cap on the starter solenoid. Too much strength on the socket tightening the batt cable. I dont find any on ebay, is there a standard onan one available without buying military replacement? It is type 1 shown in the manual.

Chainbreaker

Looks like it broke pretty clean and the terminals are still intact, correct? If so, I would give a shot at using JB Weld to epoxy it back in place. I've had great luck with using JB weld in similar situations.

Razerface

Looks like it broke pretty clean and the terminals are still intact, correct? If so, I would give a shot at using JB Weld to epoxy it back in place. I've had great luck with using JB weld in similar situations.
Sections are missing where it splintered into very tiny pieces. Also main terminal is where it broke. I thought about gluing it right away, but it did not look good when I put the pieces together. Also, it is an emergency piece of equipment here,,which has to run when I need it, so I will probably replace with a good part instead of having it not start when it is needed.

the material is extremely brittle and I think it will break again.

FloridaAKM

The material is bakelite, which as you say is very brittle. Since it is an emergency piece of equipment, replacing it is prudent for continued operation. Having it break again during all the vibration that these units produce, during a storm or other time frame when it is needed, would not make for a good day.

dangier

I broke the same piece on my 003 a few months ago. Repaired with JB Weld and it held until the first start. Broke beside the original break. Found a new type 2 starter on the big auction site for $125--. Geared, high speed and really turns the 003 over fast. I was impressed!

Chainbreaker

Since it broke at the main terminal and splintered into pieces then I agree its best to replace with a type II geared starter. Also, if its Bakelite that stuff is a bit slippery and hard for JB Weld to adhere to. As Dangier mentioned the big auction site has them. I bought a reman one just to add to my spares collection for less than $100 a few months ago and it looks new.

Razerface

I broke the same piece on my 003 a few months ago. Repaired with JB Weld and it held until the first start. Broke beside the original break. Found a new type 2 starter on the big auction site for $125--. Geared, high speed and really turns the 003 over fast. I was impressed!
Does this aftermarket starter fit whether you have type 1 or 2? I ask the seller but never got a reply. I did buy a new solenoid from local "starter repair" house, but that cost $100, and I think I may buy the aftermarket set for my spare parts box since it is only 25 more for the starter too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks