• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Solenoid Hookup

Mark5y9m

Now I have read all of the info on the starters, and looked at all the TM's and I have not been able to determine specifically which of the two small bolts on the starter get the purple wire. To better ID the direction. I placed the large bolt the receives the 24v from the battery at 12o'clock. So then to the left of this large bolt is a plastic dam/wall.past the wall there is a small bolt and nut. To the right of the 12 o'clock large wire there is a small bolt and nut which seems to be the proper place for the purple wire.

Now I checked the purple wire and it like the fat red wire has 24v+. To clarify, the purple wire receives 24v+ when the key is turned fully. Ultimately, I have been to the Starter/alternator shop twice. I would hate to grind on them when lack of cranking is on me. Please help me understand what It is that I am doing wrong or if it is my starter/solenoid

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I have read all of the info on the starters, and looked at all the TM's and I have not been able to determine specifically which of the two small bolts on the starter get the purple wire. To better ID the direction. I placed the large bolt the receives the 24v from the battery at 12o'clock. So then to the left of this large bolt is a plastic dam/wall.past the wall there is a small bolt and nut. To the right of the 12 o'clock large wire there is a small bolt and nut which seems to be the proper place for the purple wire.

Now I checked the purple wire and it like the fat red wire has 24v+. To clarify, the purple wire receives 24v+ when the key is turned fully. Ultimately, I have been to the Starter/alternator shop twice. I would hate to grind on them when lack of cranking is on me. Please help me understand what It is that I am doing wrong or if it is my starter/solenoid
The old points and plugs cars needed an extra kick in the pants to help ignite the fuel when starting. The did this by sending the full 12v to the coil (instead of the reduced 6v). This increased the spark for ignition. This voltage was sent to the coil via the second small terminal

Some starter have the two small terminals. Most are labeled "S' and "I". The "S" terminal is what the ignition switch wire is hooked to. The wire to the coil connects to the "I" terminal.

Since diesels do not use a coil, you only need to hook up the "S" terminal.

Here is a GM coil I found on the web. Yours should be similar.

GMStarterSolinoid.jpg