• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter solinoid

mattg2448

Hey guys, sorry if there is a thread on this, but I'm trying to rebuild my starter solinoid and I can't seem to find a tm or find a way to take it off the starter itself. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!:driver:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
do an advanced search in the deuce forum for "starter solenoid". Might also include tech manuals or technical manuals.

Spelling counts when searching. There are two TM, for starter repair, depending on your brand. You really need to pull the starter to change the solenoid and reinstall it correctly(adjustment).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are at least three different starters for the Deuce.

They each have a TM

TM 9-2920-242-35 - Starter Delco
TM 9-2920-243-34 - Starter Leece
TM 9-2920-248-35 - Starter Prestolite

And there is a gear reduction out there but I don't have a TM number for it.

Attachments

Keith_J

If all you need to fix is the electrical side, no need to remove. Just pull the electrical side off the solenoid and fix the main contacts.

The below images show a bad starter solenoid contact set. The studs on the black plastic cap were at different heights and this caused the SHORTER one to wear MORE. Eventually leading to a no-start condition. Cleaned those up, dressing down the high one so BOTH made contact at the same time.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Keith-j
the pic #2 shows contact marks at only 2 points, the contact disks should ROTATE so it makes contract over the whole disk, this is why at times someone has to hit the starter a few times before the starter kicks in, the disk may have a bad spot (burn, ect) and needed to be rotated to a good contract point, a NONROTATING contract disk will burn up quick

Keith_J

Yes, the plate rotates IF the contact points are at nearly the same height. This one was not. It works now.

The owner of the M35 it came out of had starter issues ever since he bought it. TAD overhauled the truck in the 1990s and it wasn't run much since then.

mattg2448

Sorry about the spelling, for some reason my phone auto corrected it. Owell, and also, how do you stop the solenoid shaft from spinning? I cant get that bolt holding the plate off.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really need to pull the starter to change the solenoid and reinstall it correctly(adjustment).

mattg2448

The starter is pulled, i have the cover of the solenoid off, there is a wire or something soldered to the end of one of the connection bolts. When i put a socket on the little lock nut of the solenoid shaft that the plate is bolted to it just spins, and i cant get the solenoid off far enough that i can grab hold of it to stop it from turning, I need to find a way to stop the shaft from spinning, when i pull on the solenoid, the shaft with the gear on the starter slides to the engaged position. Im going to take a look at the TMs, and report back in a bit.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the solenoid off the starter.

Keith_J

Yes, there is a small screw securing the solenoid coil to the back cap. You need to slightly pull the cap off, then remove this screw.

If you remove the bolts securing the solenoid to starter, you can grab the solenoid shaft with padded pliers to remove the back nut securing the contactor plate. Remember how the spring and insulators/washers are aligned. The plate must be electrically isolated.

Pulling the nose piece apart is easy too. Pivots are secured with a Allen screw. Pull the pivot and it all comes apart.

Starters aren't complex, most often it is these contact plates which fail. Abuse is the greatest cause of winding failure. Brushes are easy to swap.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently this will be next in line for me as well. I had to jump the starter yesterday to get the truck to start. Once I got it parked and shut down, I hit the button and it fired right up. I guess I may have some bad solenoid spots as well….

After that I can fix the fuel leak I found, and the valve cover gasket, and the master cylinder replacement, and…..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks