• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter stays spinning...

mr.travo

Ok, so I went to go look at a friends Deuce the other day to trouble shoot some issues on it. The starter will engage and crank the truck BUUUUUUUUT- it wants to stay spinning. When you cut the master power, it quits spinning. Flip the MP back on (without killing the truck) and it goes back to spinning. He said the old one did it too. He also said that when it does it, if you press and hold the start switch, it stops spinning. Release it and it goes back to spinning. I didn't really mess with it because the weather was so crappy. My guess is a bad switch? The starter is brand new and isn't a reman.

I have looked through the 20 level manuals and couldn't find anything dealing with that so either I missed it or it's not a common problem???

Any ideas?

Thanks!

KsM715

Start with the switch and then to the relay. If it stops when you push the switch in, I would say the switch has gone bad and the contact points are broken loose and stuck together and they are being pushed away from the broken point when you push it in and when you let go they make contact again.

Edit: pull the wire harness off the back of the switch, turn master on and see if the starter starts spinning. If not take something like some 10guage wire and make a jumper, stick it in the holes in the plug you pulled off the back of the starter button, (use insulated wire with only the ends stripped off) see if it spins with the jumper in and not spinning with the jumper out. If that works you need a new starter button.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This diagram will help see how the starter is supposed to work. The starter relay is not shown and the push button in the diagram takes its place (it's assumed to function properly, of course).
When you push the start button, the pull-in coil is energized engaging the pinion gear and also turns the start motor to make it easier to do so. As soon as the solenoid contact is closed the pull-in coil is shorted and the start motor cranks the engine. When you release the start button, the solenoid will return by spring action and open the contact, stopping the start motor.
The pull-in coil is shorted when the solenoid contact is closed and may be welded closed to make the motor run without the start button.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No PCB on a Deuce.

mr.travo

To be honest with you, I haven't looked into this any further. My Dad was sick and just passed so all the projects I had for myself and friends are still on hold. Once I figure it out and troubleshoot it, I will post up my findings.

Sorry about the delay,

Travo