• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Switch questions...

mbarber84

Hi all,

I’ve been battling an intermittent starter switch (push-button style) in my deuce. I was wondering about the ¼ turn style I have seen in some of the deuces (see attached picture)….are these readily available? Are they a switch specific to the m35a2, or is it the same switch as the one in the 5 ton series? It would seem this style of switch would be more reliable. I am fully prepared to replace the switch with the standard push button style, however I am looking for better alternatives as these things seem to be less reliable than I desire.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have access to a 5T switch, it will work. What type of issues have been troubling you?

glcaines

Hi all,

I’ve been battling an intermittent starter switch (push-button style) in my deuce. I was wondering about the ¼ turn style I have seen in some of the deuces (see attached picture)….a
Quite commonly there are NOS push button switches on ebay and the usual MV parts houses have them.

mbarber84

Hi guys,

The problem Im having is that the switch sometimes just does not work when I push it in. I have to "pump" the switch every once in a while, then it works. Other times, I get in, hit the button, and it works instantly. Im fairly certain this is not a starter or solenoid problem as I am not getting the tell-tale "clicking" which usually accompanies that sort of situation. It just seems that the switch is "dead" every once in a while. It feels like there is no contact inside the switch. Ive used the 5 ton style switch before in my friends 818, and from what I can tell, its a much more robust and reliable device. Just my 2 cents worth anyway....

rlwm211

You have two devices that make your starter engage electrically. There is the switch. That can be checked with an ohm meter and you can verify if it is actually closing the contacts or not. The other is a magnetic relay on the side of the motor above the starter. A loose connection can cause this problem. I would spend a few minutes carefully checking under the hood making sure all of the connections are tight.

Be very careful with a wrench on positive connections because you can cause a serious short if you accidentially contact the positive and make ground at the saame time. If you are at all in doubt, disconnect the batteries.

Your problem very well may be the contactor instead of the switch.

Hope this helps

RL

oldshep

Could be the switch, but i have the same problem(in the winter) and its the solenoid. Lightly tap on the relay and see if it makes a difference.

mbarber84

Nice! Thanks for the input guys, I`ll try to dig in to this problem this weekend....if i can find some time between the farm chores....planting season is upon us, and the unseasonably warm weather has kick-started the alf-alfa...big time. My 2nd season acreage is pretty darn close to knee high already.....not that im complaining! :-D

Not to mention school is still in session til early June, between the farm and teaching, there`s little time for the deuce right now...but I need to get the maintenance done on it so that I can take it to school a few more times before the end of the year...the kids love to see it sitting in the lot....gotta love that, the deuce has earned me major cool points at school haha ...only in America!

Last edited: