• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter test question

Crazyls2

I have never seen a fly-back diode internal to a solenoid coil, and unless they already grounded one side of it, the solenoid coil is not polarity sensitive. many starters already have one coil lead tied to ground on the starter case and no second terminal to connect to. The second terminal simply allows for more possible control, like a thermal switch or some other interlock in the ground leg.

Now a fly back diode/diodes across that coil might allow us to remove the 100A aux start solenoid on the frame rail and control the starter solenoid directly with K1 as it does not pull all that much current. the large aux start contactor is just the old school way of dealing with the fly-back energy created by the solenoid when you de-energize it and its field collapses...

But where you show to move the ground connection to is how it is shown in the 20-3 manual, starter replacement diagrams...
I don't doubt what you explained, it seems reasonable to me. But, there were no signs of life until I reversed the polarity on those terminals. Once I swapped them the solenoid did it's job

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the solenoid coil is not polarity sensitive
I forgot about this thread but saw an update today. I was thinking that plunger rod can get magnetized (weakly) over time, which would be a red herring on a bench top if you reversed the coil polarity, causing it to not activate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks