• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Troubles???

M1009 Fiend

Hey Guys. I need help ASAP.

Here's the problem went to start my truck after letting it sit for a week and she would crank but not turn completely over. I thought it was dead batteries so i came back this morning check the volt gauge in the cab in the middle of yellow, low but before this when starting mine sits just under green. So i went to start and same thing as last night( a grrr grr gr sound) then i tried hooking up a civi vehicle to jump, nada.
Got out my volt gauge and both batteries are 12.-- vt each.

What could it be i have an interview i have to drive to in a couple days and need advice ASAP!!

Side note, I have done a manual glow plug switch, and when pressing that in the gen 2 light would shut off. Its never done that before... What do you guys thing?

Last edited:

M1009 Fiend

Maybe more problems than i thought I had ive been checking various basic things and when checking my air filter i saw this... See pictures. Im not sure if it is oil or diesel, i found a layer of it on the air filter cover as well. Should i be worried?

Attachments

frodobaggins

I suspect nargles are behind it. :)

I'd try charging both batteries on a charger and trying again.

Your batteries should be about 13 volts just sitting there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tech manual has a step by step procedure to test this problem. TM 9-2320-289-20.

First thing to do is charge and load test the batteries before you EVER start working on an electrical issue. Without knowing the status of the batteries, you will be guessing at problems. I have seen countless batteries that will show good voltage but have a dead cell. When put under a load they crap out.

Almost all the trucks I have worked on had an oil film in the intake. It comes from the CDR and the blowby of the engine.

How did you do your manual bypass of the GPs? Someting is wrong if the GEN2 light is going out.

M1009 Fiend

My bypass i use was to run a ground to the relay, and disconnect the controller i didnt have the money to replace the card and didnt want to ruin the electrical system. ( Good bad??)

Ok ill get the batteries charged and see want happens.

mistaken1

So your momentary push button switch is grounding one side of the glow plug relay coil when the switch is activated? (the blue wire side of the coil)

CROM

Is that liquid in your intake? Looks green...I had a coolant hose get cracked and it sprayed directly into the air intake. Soaked the filter cover, and leaked into the intake. Just an idea to check...

M1009 Fiend

Yep all that for a dead cell. So a new battery and good to go. Gen 2 light working correct again, however the battery gauge is still in the middle of the yellow prior to start up.

So while I had everything apart i decided to do standard maintenance.

Question Does anyone know where I can find the support rods for the battery tray? I put a new bracket to better secure the batteries but the bolts are to tall.

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the original bolts, and made some "sleeves"(about 2"long) out of 3/8" steel tubing.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting your results. Alot of threads just die out without the final results. [thumbzup]

On a side note, your manual wiring GP sounds correct. The GEN2 light was going out because of the bad battery. When under load the battery died and couldn't supply the power to the 24v side of the truck, so the light went out.

So a final reminder to everyone, when working on an "new" problem,
check your batteries first. Charge and load test them.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used long threaded bolts - I got the ones that were four inches off and cut them to length. You MIGHT have to put a nut (or two) on the bottom to hold it in place or you might not.

I did that and they work great. A buddy of mine found BOLTS that were the correct length and just used those.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks