• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter upgrade thought's

TGP (IL)

Why not replace the 24v solinoid
With a 12v sol. do away with the
Under dash relay?
The load terminal lugs are the same.
Only the coil winding is chagned.
Tom

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are using an12V circuit to energize a 24V starting circuit. It would cause issues trying to eliminte it without deleting the 24V side of things.

TGP (IL)

All your doing is using 12v to pull the drive in and complete the 24v starting motor.

"You are using an12V circuit to energize a 24V starting circuit."

Are you not doing the same with the under dash relay?
TGP

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is, it was not done like that because nobody used an off the shelf starter in that configuration.

Proper and bold labeling would be imperative.

The work to convert the starter is much more labor intensive and technical, than changing the under dash relay.

Keith_J

The under dash solenoid also keeps arc wear minimal on the ignition switch since the under dash solenoid is a bit smaller than the one on the starter. There can be two arcs for every time the starter is used, one on making the connection (inductive inrush) and then on breaking the contact as the collapsing magnetic field causes a reverse current to form ( unless solenoid has a snubbing diode).

TGP (IL)

My guess is, it was not done like that because nobody used an off the shelf starter in that configuration.

Proper and bold labeling would be imperative.

The work to convert the starter is much more labor intensive and technical, than changing the under dash relay.

I agree 100% with why it was done the way it was.

I have been driving my M1028A2 for five years now, daily during the winter, occasionally in the summer.
With nothing more than maintenance.
However the starting system is a different story. Did your relay modification and still had an intermittent
No start problem.

Changed to Chinese Starter, all good for a year or so then same problem.
In the meantime I had the Delco checked and found an open commentator segment.
Refreshed with new armature, I pulled it off the shelf and installed.
Problem fixed, well not exactly. better but still acted up on occasion.
Changed the relay again, perfect for over year. Then same thing, intermittent no start.

So now I'm on my third relay(I blame China junk)and now I will locate a 28MT 12V Solenoid and make the change, connect the Purple and Purple/white
Together and give it a try.

I will indicate the change on the starter, and in the TM9-2320-289-10 Operators manual in the glove box.

Tom

Attachments

TGP (IL)

The under dash solenoid also keeps arc wear minimal on the ignition switch since the under dash solenoid is a bit smaller than the one on the starter. There can be two arcs for every time the starter is used, one on making the connection (inductive inrush) and then on breaking the contact as the collapsing magnetic field causes a reverse current to form ( unless solenoid has a snubbing diode).
Wasn't a concern with the 12v civi. trucks, gas or diesel.
Tom

Hasdrubal

Why not install an original direct drive 27MT. Very well engineered, rugged, durable and dependable. In 10 years and thousands of starts I have never experienced a no-start condition.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks