• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter wire question

topgun217

I just pulled the starter today to have it rebuilt. I noticed that I don't have the shield on mine. anyway, I disconnected the batteries first, then I had to disconnect a smaller red wire which appeared to have been connected to a blade terminal and it runs up the back side of the engine.

Now here's what happened: As I was trying to disconnect the smaller red wire, it broke off inside the blade connector. Question: can I just cut the end off the plastic connector and crimp/solder a different connecter on and then re-attach to the starter solenoid or do I need to do something different?

I looks simple but I wanted to make sure before I proceed further. Napa guy said it is just a crimp connector and no big deal.

Thanks

MarcusOReallyus

Crimp connector is fine, as long as you do it correctly. Cut things off cleanly, and make sure that when you are done you have enough wire left so it isn't stretched.

Use the right size connector - don't trim the wire down to fit the connector. Buy the right size. For a 12 gauge wire, that's a yellow connector.

Buy quality - this is no place to save a few pennies. I much prefer the nylon connectors over the vinyl, and the heat-shrink kind is even better.

Use a quality crimper, and always crimp at a 90 degree angle to the seam.

Since you have a red wire, check to make sure it's 12 guage. Sounds like it may have been spliced at some point. You should find the splice and make sure it was done correctly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks