• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter

Farmer1

Hey guys quick question. My 84 M1009 I converted back to 24v. Thanks for all the information getting that done. I installed a new starter that I got off Amazon it is a gear reduction 28t. Worked perfect for a couple of days. I let it sit for a couple of days the weather got down in the 20s went out to see if it would start and all I got was grinding. Crawled under saw starter has slipped out of place so I removed and tried to reinstall and it will not sit in its proper place for alignment. Any suggestions as to why all of the sudden it will not fit correctly?

chevymike

Do you have the front bracket as well? If not, it is likely a bolt broke or the block is cracked. If you went with the gear reduction starter, you must have this bracket as well.

Last edited:

Farmer1

Do you have the front bracket as well? If not, it is likely a bolt broke or the block is cracked. If you went with the gear reduction starter, you must have this bracket as well.

I do not have the front bracket I do have one on order now. It does not look like anything is cracked. But I will double check to make sure. Thank you

Skinny

You are heading down a very expensive road. Triple check all the threaded holes for cracks. Clean the threads up. Use two new knurled bolts and use loctite on the bracket going to the block.

If this happens again you may end up with a very nice 6.2 boat anchor.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Also keep this in mind. The 6.2 diesel has metric M10 x 1.5 treads in the block for the starter. I know as a fact that 3/8 16 bolts will fit in and get semi tight. But they are NOT correct also the support bracket that goes in the block is M8 1.25 metric thread. Don't jam a 5/16 18 bolt in that hole. I have seen many and have had to pull a few engines to get the blocks fixed where the starter bolts were broken off. It's a long way from scrap but it does get expensive and very time consuming. Time is MONEY. Take Care and Be Safe. The stock support bracket that came on the 27 MT will work perfect with the 28 MT. A little cutting and a drilled hole and it is stronger then the 28 MT bracket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks