• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter

My wife and I were out the other day getting fuel for the truck and when we tried to start the truck all we heard was a click about 3 times and then it started up. Could this be a problem with the starter or relay? Any help would be appreciated.

stumps

Before you condemn the relay, check the connections at the battery terminals, the battery ground, and the engine ground.

Quite often when any of those connections becomes marginal, the current necessary to start the truck won't be there until it arcs a bit, and then it will start like normal... as the connections cool again, the problem will reappear... until it gets so bad that the truck won't even click.

-Chuck

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with stumps and will add that the starter relay does not have any spark (inductive "kick") suppression and sooner or later the contacts on starter switch will go bad due to arcing.
To prevent this, install a diode per diagram below.

Attachments

Barrman

Another possible cause is the "ON/OFF" switch wasn't all the way on. I have been in several trucks that the switch was worn enough to look on, but wasn't. All in all though, I would go with the solenoid. Just wanted to bring up a simple cheap could be cause.