• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter

CaptMonocle

My starter keeps vibrating itself loose on my M1010 and I've retapped the holes and added the front support bracket. I thought I had it nice and tight and the first day I took it out after fixing it, after a few starts, it once again shook itself loose from engaging the flywheel. I took it to my mechanic and he told me he has no idea how he's going to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to secure the starter (without pulling the entire engine out, that is) I would greatly appreciate it.

Westech

CPL
sounds like wrong bolts/messed up holes in the block. Thats about the only way it will come loose. you can install a helicoil kit and use RED loctite on everything.

stump

Install the bracket at the back of the starter. It bolts to the block and the top post on the back of the starter. Make sure you use a starter shim between the block and the starter. I would make a fold over bracket to keep thoes bolts from backing out . Bolt the starter on with the bracket in place and then fold the metal over the bolt heads to keep them from turning.

woopyass

Yeah, theres a bracket for the back of the 6.2 starters that comes from the factory. It bolts the starter to the block at the rear of the starter. If you need a picture of it, I have one sitting in my work van I can take a picture of. I know that those brackets are offered through NAPA, but who knows what the part # is.

Tanner

If you don't use the support bracket at the rear of the starter (opposite of the bellhousing end), you stand the risk of breaking the block where the starter bolts up...

'Tanner'

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
can you post a pic of the rear bracket for me woopyass, I can only find reference to the front bracket in the TMs. Thanks

Did you not look at the link I posted earlier? It was the first link, post #6
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/590862-post6.html

It shows the two differtent brackets, gear reduction or direct drive.

It also lists the part numbers, prices and where to get them.

The second link shows what the drives look like and how they are attached

And which manual are you looking at?

If you look at TM 9-2320-289-20, Section 4-5 clearly shows the starter and all associated hardware and brackets

Last edited: