• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter

oldm1009

does anyone know where to find another starter other than getting it rebuild. i found some online for 120 but i dont know if it would be the right one, any help?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS.

You need to add the state to your user profile. It is one of the site requirements.

There are two types of starters for the 6.2L.

The old style direct drive (made in the USA) and the new style Gear Reduction. (most are made in China).

I would recommend a rebuild as the new staters are having issues with dependability.

What ever version you go with, make sure that your replace the support bracket. If not you run the chance of breaking a starter bolt, nose cone or the block itself.

Visit the CUCV Wiki and FAQ in the CUCV Forum.

+1 to Warthog.
You can spend the $120 now and have a fix for a month to X months... or rebuild the original OEM 24v. Even with the warranty of the new one... not knowing when the starter will go, pulling it out from a location you don't want to be (garage/street/work/etc) taking it to the place you bought it, then putting the new one on... give that about two or three tries and you will wish for the time and energy spent wasted on the POS gear reduction starter.

Oh and the bracket is different between the OEM and the gear reduction starter like Warthog stated. Choose to NOT use the correct bracket and you will sheer the starter bolts.

But again... advice is free! So good luck!

edpdx

Be sure to:

• Check that you are using the right starter bracket and bolt.
  • Use the right starter mounting bolts a dealer item
  • Clean the starter mounting surfaces, and... wait for it...
  • Shim, if needed. You'll have to remove the protector for the flexplate. 6-7 bolts and a bit of wiggling. Then pull the starting gear out from the solenoid and check the spacing between the starting gear and flexplate. Most say that the larger paper clips mic out at .30" (TM says: .20-.50 inches OR .0.50-1.50mm) and will put you in good shape.
All the part numbers for the above can be found here in other posts.

Last edited:

rbeasley66

and... wait for it...
[*] Shim, if needed. You'll have to remove the protector for the flexplate. 6-7 bolts and a bit of wiggling. Then pull the starting gear out from the solenoid and check the spacing between the starting gear and flexplate. Most say that the larger paper clips mic out at .30 and will put you in good shape.
That is experience speaking:drool:

TenGAUGE

When I purchased my cucv last July it was robbed of the starter. After flat hauling it back from Ft. Hood I got home and discovered it was missing. So I went to the local auto parts store and purchased a total of 5 starters for the beast. Finally, a friend told me to purchase one on Ebay from a place near Knoxville TN. I purchased it because it was advertised as a cucv starter, after receiving 2 from this company I purchased a used starter from someone else and had it rebuilt, it has been starting great ever since. Just my 2 cents.

M1008driver

Just a minute here. I bought a Power Strike Starter from cncelectrical.com and have had zero problems for almost a year now. They cost a little more, but worth it in my book. You can find them on EBAY too.

If you buy a new starter make sure you get the gear reduction bracket and new starter bolts. Check your flexplate for wear too. You can buy one in town at Oreilly's, Autozone, or NAPA. I got the Pioneer/Flywheel - Automatic Transmission, Part Number: FRA-142. In fact, I recommend changing the flexplate now when you fix your starter.

Study up on shims too. If you have them you may need them. If not probably not, but you could need them. I think before 1985 does and the rest not usually.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Item Specifics:
OEM(s): Delco
Starter Family: Delco 28MT
Type: OSGR
Voltage: 24 Volts
Rotation: CW
Teeth/Splines: 10 Teeth/Splines
Pinion/Splines OD: 32mm / 1.260in
DE Housing Number: 371-12106
Mounting Hole 1: 10.0mm ID Unthreaded
Mounting Hole 2: 11.5mm ID Unthreaded
New or Remanufactured: New
Approximate Weight: 18.715 lbs / 8.51 kg

Applications:
Military 6.2L Diesel GM Engines 28MT
Military Equipment with 6.2L Engine
[/FONT]
Do a search here in the forum. There is a ton of information and some good pics to study. To me using that boat anchor that came with the vehicle is like using obsolete parts in your computer. It will work, but not the best choice.

OEM guys, don't flame me, the Constitution protects my free speech.

:doghead:

EDIT- I see this was your first post. Do the doghead mod if you haven't too. It will save your starter from sticking. Peace!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks