• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting an LDS 465-1A engine after 3 yrs : UPDATE RUNNING

Shizzlemah

Hi Guys. I just stumbled across this forum a few days ago, and it has sparked my interest in my M54 which has been sitting for a few years. Time to get that baby fired up and purring !!

Engine is a LDS 465 1A, dated 1989. It has always ran perfectly for me. The last fuel fill was about 4-5 years ago. Diesel stabilizer was added. Maybe it was used 10 miles since then? It last ran about 3 years ago. Started right up. But it has sat ever since.

Dead batteries are an easy fix - but I'm wondering, if anything, I should do to the fuel. My budget doesn't really allow for me to dump the 60 gallons of fuel and start over. There is a filter with drain mounted on the framerail, and two filter elements mounted near the injection pump.

Any good thoughts on this one fellas ? I'd sure like an easy fix, but i'm trying to be smart this time and think about what could go wrong before forcing old fuel into the system !

All help is greatly appreciated!

Westech

CPL
RE: Starting an LDS 465-1A engine after sitting 3 years

just start it and run it. you should have no problem, Diesel can last over 10 years with no stabilizer.

EZFEED

Shoot diesel will last forever if its sealed up! I burned some from jerry cans my grandpa had sitting since 1965! :shock:

scooter01922

Welcome to the site, nice to have yet another northeast member. Any chance you have some pics of your truck....we like pics ;-)

Shizzlemah

Pic attached, I hope.
Just over 10k miles and I've owned it for 9 years now. It's looking a little tired, and the top needs some work - but she ran like a top and I'm excited to get her back on the road.

Attachments

randyscycle

For anything diesel powered parked for a while I like to do a few things:

1) Drain the fuel filters of any water.

2) Using a flashlight, take a look in the tank to be sure there isn't any major chunks or water in there.

3) Install the new batteries and be sure all the posts/terminals are very clean and tight.

4) Check any and all fluid levels and condition.

5) Try to start and see what happens.

Of course, keep a very close eye on the gauges especially to see that the oil pressure comes up and stays up. Also keep a close eye on the temp gauge the first run. Thermostats are known to stick after a long park.

Also be sure to listen for any abnormal noises and have a look under the hood after startup for any leaks or drips. Its surprising what sitting will do to a vehicle.

Shizzlemah

RE: Re: RE: Starting an LDS 465-1A engine after sitting 3 y

Well here's the update fellas.

Yesterday evening, I was a little flustered with the real world so I started to dig into the M54. I drained about 2 gal of fuel out of the tank and a few ounces from the filter. Everything looked reasonable, so I continued. Removed two very dead batteries... and I dropped in the two batteries from my civvy jeep. They were only a few months old, one never even used. It was near 70 degrees, so I figured I'd be okay. Switch on and the familiar air buzzer buzzez. Hit the button, and the cranking lasted for all of 6 seconds. One of the batteries was dead. GRRRRR

Today I put the new dead battery on the charger and dropped it into the M54 after an hour or so. The camera got set on a tripod to film the event - and within ONE MINUTE the engine was up and running !! YEHAW!!! Oh that was great!! Too bad the vid is 30Meg, maybe a little too big to post? But' I'm excited as heck! Snuck it out for about a 2 mile ride around the block, smiling all the way!

The ragtop was torn before the cruise, but it was tattered to shreads after it. Time to call GMA :) So thanks for the encouragement guys!

One quick pick of the sucess : http://www.sacoriver.net/~damonfg/chips/mv/aDSC01731.JPG

scooter01922

[thumbzup] Way cool man, you could always upload that vid to the vid section of the site, or just link us to it. Glad to hear it was so easy for ya.

Shizzlemah

westfolk said:
I don't know where that pic was....it wasn't there when I posted earlier.

Check that out a "low light" M54 and it has lollipops.
Yeah lollipopps but I like snickers better. Wait- what are you talking about? I've never paid much attention to the lighting other than noticing that the orange directionals are facing the wrong way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks