• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting Help

frontiersman

I am trying to help my friend diagnose and solve a starting problem he is having with his M1028 (which he wont sell to me lol). When truck is cold, you turn on key and wait for the WAIT light to go out, then it starts instantly. If you run thr truck to operating temp, and turn it off, it wont start to save budda. If you let the truck cool down for 30-45 mins, it starts right up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

m4A1

I've had a problem where after it runs at running temp and then turn it off and sit for a half it won't start. It was because the temp switch for the glow plugs says it is warm enough and would not allow the glow plugs to activate. I rigged a bypass switch to activate the glow plugs manually when that happens.

frontiersman

Ok, so in theory the temp sensor is the problem? Does anyone have a part number and where one can be purchased? Where on the engine is the sensor located? Thanks!

Croatan_Kid

It's not that the sensor is bad, just that it's warm enough to tell the GP curcuit not to engage the GPs. So if you rig up a manual by-pass you can use them for a "warm" start and it'll start much easier. There's a sticky at the top of the page on a manual controller setup.

mangus580

Are you saying if you turn it off, and try to start it right back up it wont?

This is the symptoms of a really tired injection pump If I remember right....

frontiersman

No, it will start right back up if you turn it off, and then start it back up. If you turn it off and leave it off for a few minutes, sometimes it wont start back up until it cools down. Doesnt happen everytime. He would like to keep it original if possible, so doing the manual bypass would be his last resort. So the TM will give the GM part number for the temp sensor?

Croatan_Kid

The point I was trying to make is that the temp switch is most likely working perfectly. It's just at the point between needing glow plugs and not needing them, so it's iffy sometimes. To answer your questions, yes, I think the part number is in the TM.

CCATLETT1984

to test that, pull the plug from the temp switch next time it wont start, and put a paper clip in to bridge the connection. that will make the engine think its cold and the plugs will glow.

frontiersman

Ok, lol. I am learning. Hopefully I will have my own M1028 next week if things go as planned! Then will upgrade to Humvee wheels and tires......then maybe look for a military trailer? LOL!

rickta24

i am having this exact same problem. i tried installing the manual glow plug switch...still could not get it started. when i turn the manual switch on, my gen 2 light goes a little dimmer. then i turn off the switch and gen 2 gets a little brighter. could the problem possibly be a bad ground?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks