• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting mystery...

JLin

Hi gents,

I just went to get my 1009 after being overseas for the past 16 months.

She was sitting outside, covered in leaves and full of cobwebs inside.
The batteries were toast, so I put in a new set and she fired right up.

I drove her 200 miles home, left her overnight and the next day I cleaned her up.
Washed everything down. Hosed out the engine compartment, vac'ed out the interior.
Fired her up again to make sure everything was good then parked her.

Two days later (today) I tried to start her and nothing Headlights work, glow plug warms up and clicks off, dash lights are good. Absolutely nothing (not even a click) when I try to turn the motor over? Voltmeter is reading dead. I looked at all the fuses and they seem fine.

I'm pretty mystified here, so I am hoping you guys can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wiggle the silver start relay under the dash next to the STE/ICE connector. IF no joy, then it may be no good. Welcome to the site, back to the USA, and hello from a former Mill Valley resident . . .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recheck(disconnect and reconnect) your battey cable connections. While they are off the batteries, remove and clean the positive cable at the starter.

JLin

Gents

Thanks for you help. I apologize for not following forum etiquette and introducing myself. I'm not much of a forum user.

So, the mystery deepens...

My rear battery was suspect so I took it out to charge. My charger went bonkers and it seems like the battery somehow reversed the poles (+ became -). Since it was a new battery I took it back and got a replacement. She fired right up. Next day dead again. The rear battery is doing the same reversed poles deal again. This is really mystifying me. What could be causing the rear battery to be switching polarity? Anyone of you run into something like this?

One thing to consider was when I was first putting the new batteries, my buddy put switched the rear battery leads ( I wasn't watching, I was tightening the front leads). Of course their were some sparks, but after correcting it, it still started fine.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks