• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting new repower/conversion project w/M56 R2 Crash & Rescue Truck

viking1

Hi folks!! New member here, and I thought I'd start a thread to document a new project.

I have owned a 1953 M56 R2 Crash truck since around 1994. It already had the back end hacked off to make it into a "pickup" before I found it, and was painted a fugly lime yellow/green color (the original fire engine red was underneath). Certainly a shame this was done, as its my understanding there were only 350 or so of these made. In any event, I gave it a quick spray bomb camo job I could tolerate and began using it to haul adobe block and other building materials to my remote mountain building site. The orginal 230 flathead dropped a valve about halfway through, so I quickly (and poorly, I might add) threw in a Dodge 318/727 combo I had laying around. After constructon was completed, the truck was parked for around 14 years or so. I recently decided it would be a good candidate to convert into a dump bed to haul creek gravel for my private roadway. Upon cursory inspection however, I found the valve covers had leaked (allowing water to infiltrate the engine). The hood had been left up to keep packrats (an insidious desert dweller) from eating everything in the engine compartment, but I didnt count on the leakeage issue. In any event, the 318 wouldnt break loose (even after pouring marvel mystery oil, PB Blaster, and diesel into the cylinders/crankcase), so out it comes. I have located a Dodge 440/727 combo from a motorhome, which should give it plenty of oomph to haul with. Once its moving under its own power again, I'll begin the dump bed conversion. It should be a fun project!!

Here are a couple of baseline pics to start the timeline. The first one is me towing the truck to the repair bay yesterday (using my ALSO newly-restored machine); and the 2nd is at the end of the day today with half the sheet metal removed, parts tagged & bagged, and the engine about ready to come out..... :)

crash truck.jpgIMAG0221.jpg

Last edited:

viking1

PS while I'm at it, I'll straighten up the interior and sheet metal, and give it a fresh coat of paint (color as yet undecided).... :)

nattieleather

Interesting project. Yes it is a shame that someone hacked it up. If you restored it you would have a big job on your hands. It might be easier to take what's left of the original cab and back and save those parts for anyone with a crash truck who needs parts and pick up another M37 cab to make your dump truck with. Just another thought. Keep the pictures coming we love projects and pictures. :D

viking1

Interesting project. Yes it is a shame that someone hacked it up. If you restored it you would have a big job on your hands. It might be easier to take what's left of the original cab and back and save those parts for anyone with a crash truck who needs parts and pick up another M37 cab to make your dump truck with. Just another thought. Keep the pictures coming we love projects and pictures. :D

Thanx for the reply, Sir. I will keep up-to-date on all the progress.

Not much worth saving for any M56 owners, plus I have to use what I have lying around on hand for the project. When I threw the 318 in years ago, I also obviously lost the PTO too. I converted the Braden winch via a belt-driven hydraulic motor/pump/reservoir/, so those will see service on the dump bed once I locate a cylinder.

Pulling the old 318/trans out next week......

JimC2

Two ways to keep it.
1) custom long pilot bushing
2) switch to the long pilot shaft in the transmission.

I eventually repowered again to a bb Chevy and an SM465 transmission positioned so that the PTO jackshaft remains in the original location.

viking1

Two ways to keep it.
1) custom long pilot bushing
2) switch to the long pilot shaft in the transmission.

I eventually repowered again to a bb Chevy and an SM465 transmission positioned so that the PTO jackshaft remains in the original location.

Thx Jim. Unfortunately tranny is long gone too, so I'll swap the Braden for a 12k 12 volt winch I have laying around....

viking1

All the inner fender wells, grill, and engine compartment getting a new lease on life. The frozen 318 has been yanked, and I will push the chassis into the bay tommorow to start dropping in the 440 magnum motor/trans.... :)IMAG0233.jpgIMAG0232.jpgIMAG0234.jpg

viking1

The M56R2 is stripped, pressure washed, and dragged into the bay. Tommorrow I paint the front clip and interior, and then I begin the engine swap logistics....
IMAG0235.jpg

viking1

I painted the interior of the M56 today, one of those jobs that took little output but gave max return as far as appearance. I am using the same Case "Power Tan" color as my track loader for uniformity in my fleet. I envision using aluminum diamond plate for the door/roof panels... :)
IMAG0242.jpgIMAG0240.jpgIMAG0241.jpg

tobyS

Nice progress!!

I see there is more bed left than I originally thought. I (also) will use some diamond plate on the roof (replacing a soft top 923), but I like being able to weld the steel as opposed to aluminum. ...And able to dance on it too (work up high), so will have a bit more support.

Please keep pictures coming. BTW, my 925 winch cable wanted to do exactly what your second photo shows and it was a real one man fight to get it back on properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks