• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

?? Starting of in 2nd gear??

Katahdin

I sometimes split shift but still start in first when I do. Even empty, a M109 is carrying a ton more shell then a M35A2. I do shift quicker out of 1st, say at 2000rpm instead of 2400rpm for the other gears.

I have split-downshifted as well. Usually on my way to the gun club, I'll downshift to 3rd high when turning into the local speedway gravel parking lot then split down to 3rd low after my speed and rpms coast down. I then turn down the club road in low range. (10mph speed limit)

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 109 is only 1/2 ton heavier than the standard cargo bed version.
And my "little Draggin' " doesn't even react to that much weight in the bed . . . well . . . it does ride smoother ;)

seano11

I find if I double clutch every gear its alot smoother shifting when I'm going into first at a stop light I just give the throttle a little burp and it slips right into first

bigugh20

First isn't synchronized and therefore you are supposed to be at a complete stop to shift into first. Ferro taught me something that I had forgotten, when you are stopped with the transmission in neutral and you need to get into first, you can depress the clutch, shift the transmission into another forward gear to get everything spinning at the same speed and then without having to release the clutch it should slip into first -or- you can depress the clutch and wait for everything in the transmission to stop. My shift into second is much harder than the other gears as well.
Also I think that whether or not you will shear the second gear key may have allot to do with driving style. If you drive it like a weak 4 cylinder car and rev the motor/slip the clutch to get it going you are putting more stress on the key than if you start out gently then roll into the throttle once you get rolling. I start out in first unless I am still rolling, that way no revving just ease out on the clutch and roll into the throttle, shift into second with no revving and then roll into the throttle and so forth. The only throttle while shifting is to match rpm and then just a blip and usually only while downshifting for a hill, traffic, etc. I'm no expert, and this probably doesn't apply to heavy loads, but for unloaded driving that's my 2 cents.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First isn't synchronized and therefore you are supposed to be at a complete stop to shift into first. Ferro taught me something that I had forgotten, when you are stopped with the transmission in neutral and you need to get into first, you can depress the clutch, shift the transmission into another forward gear to get everything spinning at the same speed and then without having to release the clutch it should slip into first -or- you can depress the clutch and wait for everything in the transmission to stop.
AH! That's exactly it, I'm stopped with the transmission in neutral and I need to get into first. It did feel like things were still spinning in the transmission, I will certainly have to remember to do as you said, shift into another forward gear, then into first (while keeping the clutch depressed, of course)!

Thank you (and Ferro)! :beer:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 109 is only 1/2 ton heavier than the standard cargo bed version.
And my "little Draggin' " doesn't even react to that much weight in the bed . . . well . . . it does ride smoother ;)

361-10 gives these figures for empty weight.*
M185A3 17,280

M109A3 15,800
- M35A2 13,720

*Also states to subtract 520lbs if the vehicle does not have a front winch.

Last edited:

crazywelder72

I am going to put my monster on the scales tomorrow. I am guessing 15k with the 6-53's I know each one is around 337 lbs without the rim.

Should be interesting.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
361-10 gives these figures for empty weight.*
M185A3 17,280

M109A3 15,800
- M35A2 13,720

*Also states to subtract 520lbs if the vehicle does not have a front winch.
You're right, I just checked her data plate again. :oops:
M109A3 14,930
M35A2 13,030

1,900 dif between the two

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good rule to follow (to not have to replace the clutch) is: if you have to give it gas to start out, you're in too high a gear.

SMOKEWAGON66

A good rule to follow (to not have to replace the clutch) is: if you have to give it gas to start out, you're in too high a gear.
Thats a good one... very sound advise. My truck will go without any throttle in 2nd unless its on an incline...so Im still gonna start in 2nd. If it shears the key, oh well, Ive already pulled the tranny and rebuilt it once-piece of cake. :beer:

crazywelder72

Well today I tried the splitting gears and it was a breeze. I had no problem what so ever. I liked starting in 2nd low. The truck moved along surprising quickly like this. I also had no problem splitting down either.

:)

crazywelder72

Probably close.. I think I am just over 10,000# bobbed with the 395's. Hey I guessed right with the 53's!

You guessed right. 16r20's just look insane! I would have never been able to afford to build this truck like this. I was lucky to have followed it for 5 years and 2 previous owners before the stars lined up correctly for me.

big hoss

DONT START IN SECOND. I used to start in second and then i got 46's and started out in first but the damage was alredy done and you will roast your clutch. I have heard from 4 retired marine mechanics dont split from low to high. It will blow the transfer case into pieces.

crazywelder72

Are you saying don't start in second low also? Everybody says the major issue is with the woodruff key on the second high gear.

If your not supposed to split, your saying that empty should be high range only and loaded should be low?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying don't start in second low also? Everybody says the major issue is with the woodruff key on the second high gear.

If your not supposed to split, your saying that empty should be high range only and loaded should be low?
I've never split gears, but you can drive loaded in high range. Used to pull a deuce with two fuel pods in the bed and one in a trailer from Central Oh. to Camp Grayling and back every year. You won't win any speed contests, but if you drive with regard to the weight, you'll be fine in high range. Remeber it's a deuce and a half CROSS COUNTRY. On the highway it's a 5 ton.

SMOKEWAGON66

He says she says...Everyone has something different to say, everyone has an opinion. Sometimes there are many who coincide and sometimes not. Im just gonna keep doing what I do and not think about it anymore. If it breaks, Ill fix it, If it doesnt, then who cares lol. Roast the clutch, shear the key, grenade the tranny, blow out the transfer, twist an axle, explode a pumkin....so many variables. Im not skurd.