• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting on future plans interested in a little guidance especially for GA

MarksInnerDemon

Ok so here are some goals I have, which you may have run across before. I would love to know the pitfalls you have seen, issues etc. Think of this is a mental checklist of items / questions I need to answer and any imput would be great.

Background - Former Air Force with very limited vehicle knowledge (drove lots of vehicles including some East Black items nato had), with a close friend who was army and has some knowledge on maintaining and repairing vehicles especially LMTV family. So basically little to know knowledge of East Block needs and requirements.

Purpose of buying 1 to 2 vehicles - Airsoft games, Awesome factor, and lastly possibly a promotional vehicle for events/business idea. The first two reasons are top, and I plan on getting a east block and nato vehicle (possibly an LMTV).

Questions I need to find out about.

1. I am interested in getting a BRDM and I am looking to drive it to regional games probably no greater than 800 miles but probably within 400, low millage in local area (off roading maybe, or a sunday spin).

Would you say no to this idea, and why? Are there exceptions (like a refurbished in good condition BRDM?)

2. Can I get legal driveable BRDMs in GA or possibly SC(live on boarder and have friends and family in SC) would I have issues going to out of state events without having to tractor them around?

3. If I do go shopping are there some must avoid companies not to look at? Sounds like there are several. Would a detailed photograph of the vehicle be acceptable instead of flying over?

On a side not a BRDM isn't specifically my only choice, I just want wheeled and potentially street legal transport as I don't have a tow vehicle or flatbed, and don't have plans to need that for another 5 years (the time I figured it would take to get one of these snazzy items into my life).

Any questions I forgot or comments you wish people had told you first?

P.S. I think i might start with a Ural motorcycle honestly, but that is purely for my pleasure, and suicidal nature.

Thank you!

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and hobby. Both the BDRM and Ural are a nice choice to start out your interest in the hobby with. East bloc vehicle are as tough as they come. But Checkoslavakian versions of all types are better as they have good upgrades and modifications. DO NOT buy on a whim. And yes, choose your source very carefully. Get a contact stateside that has something you might like, and if not for sale, a contact that knows where to purchase, and show you the 'Types' up close. and preferably running. The BDRMS are a fun vehicle, easy to drive and you can drive them on or off road and or over water if you so desire.
Get in touch with Morter Investments or research thier site. Good luck, keep us posted on action and acquirment. You can if you wish P.M. me for any other information.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXyNJrnl7pU

Last edited:

Tascabe

So if you want a more troop carrying East Bloc armor - I have a BTR-152 that I am looking to sell.

Also have a BTR-40 that I might be selling soon as well if you want to stay smaller and it is all road legal and plated now.

Both already in the US - so no import issues as well.

as for your BRDM questions - they are able to be road legal and can be driven a fair amount.
However they do have some visibility issues so you will want to think about some cameras to help.

For airsoft etc - keep in mind they are not set up for carrying troops inside and they are not all that easy to sit on outside in rough terrain and a bit of a jump to hop off - so consider the legal factor of somebody getting hurt with your vehicle.

Having said that - BRDMs do have the cool factor locked in! They are on my list of vehicles to own at some point.

MarksInnerDemon

Wow those are two great vehicles..... I honestly haven't seen those except in reference books and identification manuals.... Now I want a BRDM and one of those. I honestly wasn't looking to run people around in the BRDM more of a light armored vehicle, since the vast majority of events are on not huge fields in this region minus events like Milsim West that tend to also have blank fire as well. Did you purchase the 152 and 40 state side as well or did you go through the importation? Did you have much restoration?

Honestly I am very interested in doing the camera system, and figured I would have to anyways do to the low visibility. I have driven a shilka before and that monster had zero visibility even out of the hatch. Luckily I had ground guides and was only moving it a short distance.

Tascabe

Both were already stateside.

BTR-40 was perfectly working when I got it - years later spun a bearing so had to rebuild and now in the middle of rewiring it completely.

BTR-152 had cracked cylinders so we have replaced the engine and transmission - it is not done yet - but it is close. Just no time to get all my projects done.

MarksInnerDemon

Got a few questions including some questions for a friend so some of these questions aren't going to make sense with others.

1. Are there companies that do loans for people with great credit for crazy things like this?
2. How does insurance work for driving these in the US, and possibly having passangers?
3. Do you guys run wavers for passangers?
4. Who would you recommend to discuss for the BRDM, and also if not the same the OT-64 BTR 60
5. Do any of those companies ever do pre-refurbished setups for purchasers? I know they do repaints but less fixup the better for me.

MarksInnerDemon

So far the only response I have gotten on pricing right now is from RussianMilitary.co.uk He said he wanted £25,000 + VAT which to me seems a bit high, but I did asked if they refurbished them. I am not sure if that is refurbished or not, and considering a 5000-8000 import cost as well. Honestly, I just want a top running, don't care about the looks vehicle with turret. I think though getting Refurbished is about the only way to go though.

I am going to keep posting my info here of what I find out hopefully to help the next poor schmuck who gets bitten.

UPDATE: The cost obviously doesn't include VAT but is door to door shipping which I figured would be a big hunk of my cost. I will also see if the vehicle is refurbished or not.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks