• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problem GP or GPR? new batteries

STRAGLER

Just a little insight please , Finally got my m1008 running, but only when I put the charger on the batterys. @ this time my GP relay was working fine (24+ on top post and 12v on both top post and bottom post w/orange wire after put in run position & 12v on pink). Bought 2 Optima 1000CCA batteries and installed. Started fine and run well. Return to start nxt day and would only turn over. Checked relay, 24+ on top & bottom of relay now after switch is in run. Pink is still getting proper 12v. From reading I understand that the draw from the plugs should reduce voltage on bottom post (orange wire) to 12v after the relay clicks. Would this mean I burnt my glowplugs up or the relay or something else may be wrong. Would installing these new hot batteries screw my relay up or burn my plugs out? The relay that NAPA has (ST85) is $65 and an hour away. Is there something else you guys can suggest I try before changing out plugs and another relay. Thanks for any help!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like your GPs have burned out. Remove the wires on them and measure the resistance between the GP terminal and Ground(hex of the GP). You should see 1-3 ohms

Did you leave your key on? With a cold engine, leaving the key on for too long will burn out the glow plugs.

Last edited:

STRAGLER

Thanks doghead. That may have happened in my stuper to fnd the prob. Just didny want to burn up another set of plugs b4 I researched why they burnt up after I installed the new batteries. One thing I am having trouble with, how do you know which small terminal on the relay for the pink and which for the blue? switching them purposed 2 senerios. Is ther a meter test I can perfrom to insure? Does the blue wire connect to the terminal closer to the feed(red) or to the orange to the glow plugs? Thanks for the help!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks