• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting problem on my m1009

peace94

I am 15 and getting ready to get my lisense, and got a 1986 m1009 CUCV and love it. But im having a few problems im not sure about.
I found the truck on ebay, and fell in love with it when i seen it.
So after i showed it to my dad, and did some research on the truck we bought it. We had to drive all the way to Florida to get it, and thought we where going to just bring it back on a trailer, but Uhaul said that it was to big and to heavy to put on there trailer. so I ended up having to drive it back from Florida to Texas. It drove all the way here without a problem, started up fisrt time every time. So when we got home that night we just shut her down. The next morning I got up and got in the truck because my sister wanted me to take her for a ride in it. So i turned the key on, waited for the wait light to go off, then cranked it, it started turning over but I had to give it a little gas to get it to start, it started and it sounded like it was idleing strange. But I just thought it might need to warm up, so I took it aroung the block then got back to my house and parked it. Came back to it a couple of hours later because me and my dad was going to take it to autozone to get some injector cleaner. But when I went to start it, it just cranked and cranked, so I gave it some gas and it started, but when I let off the gas it died. So I kept trying to start it(4 seconds of cranking and about a 30 second break) until the starter slowed and then quite working, I cheaked the batteries and thay where good. So my dad thought it could be some of the wires corroded, but it wasent. What it got down to was replacing the starter. So we went to a salvage yard and got another 24 volt starter off a civi blazer. I got home and put it back on, and as soon as I cranked it I heard a snap, so I got under the truck to see what went on, and it had broke the aluminum piece of metal on the starter, so luckly we made it work by using the original starter, and put the moter of the one we got at the salvage yard it it, put it back on there and now it cranks perfectly. now I just got to fix the starting, and running. But that is where Im stumped, I alredy replaced the fuel pump, and the fuel filter. And it continues to not start. Once in a great while it will fire but die right after.
I love this truck, and could not think of anything I would rather have, I think once I get all the bugs out of it, I will love it even more.

If any suggestions please let me know, and thanks in advance.
Its getting kind of depresing not being able to hear the sweet sound of that 6.2L desiel engine lol.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ken_86gt

Well, your truck is supposed to have a 24v starter- the civilian models all came with 12v. That is probably why you broke it. You can use the 12v if you rewire it accordingly.

You need to look for any fuel leak around the filter and all of the hoses, even a small leak will make the truck hard to start. Nice looking truck, take some pictures of the engine area.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers and the OD Madness........

15, man thats young. You will have many years to learn about your truck, and it is Great looking.

The term is diesel or fuel, not GAS......:p

First off, I dought that the Civvy starter was 24v. Only the Military CUCVs used the 24v starter. They look identical but the internals are different. The 24v has more windings.

When you reinstalled the starter did it have the rear support bracket installed?
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/49893-dumb-newbie-starter-question.html?highlight=starter

Have you downloaded all the Tech Manuals? They have troubleshooting sections for most of the issues you have.

Did you bleed the fuel system when you replaced the fuel pump and filter? What fuel pump did you put in? Diesel, Gas? When did you change them? Before or after the starting issues?

We will be asking you many questions and try to give us as much detail as possible. No yes/no asnwers. Let's get you on the road as quickly as possible.

Warthog

Last edited:

peace94

It might have been a 12 volt starter , but I got that fixed anyway, and thay both pretty much went bad at the same time. But I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump before I changed the starter, but the starter was still broke at the time so i couldnt crank it.
Also I am going to bleed it and , I did just notice a leak today around by the injector pump. So I am going to go cheak that out now, thanks for the help and ill get back with some more pictures

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Section 3-17 of TM 9-231-289-20 has the instuctions on how to bleed the filter.

Aboonski did a great writeup on changing and bleeding the filter. He even did a video for a one man operation.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/30327-fuel-filter-changeout.html

Sounds like you are getting air in the fuel system and bleeding the fuel filter is the first/cheapest step.

Some things to look at are the fuel hoses from the tank, to the fuel pump, to the filter and then to the injector pump. If the hoses are older there is a chnce they are cracked and will suck air but not leak fuel.

Another item to look at is the passenger side motor mount. Is the fuel hose rubbing on the cross member or is it about an inch off the crossmember?

If the starter was 12v and you might want to start looking for a new 24v. The 12v will work for awhile but evetually will burn up. You can also rewire the starter for 12v if you want. Let use know and we can give you the instructions.

Start saving your money to have your injector pump rebuilt. It may not die for awhile but if it is leaking like you said, it may be on its wayout now.

Just take your time and do the simple things first (cheap) and work you way up to the high dollar items. rememmber KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Last edited:

Crash_AF

The check valve might be stopped up and preventing the fuel from flowing properly. Take the rubber fuel line and nipple off of the top of the injection pump, then try to look through it. If you can't see the little glass ball in it, it is gunked up and might be the cause of your problems. Spray some carb cleaner through it in both directions until it's clean inside and put it back on.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/49327-help-cucv-just-quit-running.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/47346-so-i-cleaned-ip-valve-fuel-return-line.html

Later,
Joe

Last edited:

peace94

Here are some more pictures of my 1009. Also I think I found the leak that was causing the problem. I seen the leak coming from under the injection pump, so I took that off( is the shaft suposed to come off with the injection pump or not, it didnt with me, but thats probly not a big deal) and on the bottom of the injection there is a little hole ( I have a zoomed in picture of it in with the rest of the pictures) is there supposed to be fuel coming out of that , I think that is where I was seeing the leak coming from. I looked at all the hoses and couldnt find anything.

And also where could i download the manual for my 1009. That would probly come in handy, because im new with military vehicles and desiel engines.
And finaly, I most likely will replace the injection pump, if that turns out to be the problem. So where would i find the military version of one, Id rather keep it mostly original, not with any civi parts.
Thanks everybody for there help. I dont know how I would figure this stuff out without yalls help.

Ken_86gt

The manuals are located under the resources section.
look for TM 9-2320-289-10, -20, -20P, -34, -34P.
The -10 is the basic operators manual, -20 is unit maintenace, -30 is direct support which means more in depth than the -20.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Crash_AF

Umm, yea the shaft is supposed to come out with the pump...

This is the best price, bar none, that I have found for a 6.2 Injection Pump. The pumps are the same between the J-code civilian trucks and the CUCV, so it makes no difference. I bought one for my 1009 and it was an excellent rebuild. It was also delivered fast. The price after the core return was $270 which was half of what the Stanadyne shop in Denver wanted to rebuild mine.
HD 6.2L Diesel Injection Pump 6.2 Chevy GMC Injector: eBay Motors (item 280442712923 end time May-23-10 11:40:47 PDT)

Later,
Joe

topgun217

Sweet ride! Now I'm gonna have to gift my 1009 to my son when he turns 15 :| That just means I get to go shopping again and th wife will will really hate it with two 1009's in the driveway.

Your getting good advice from the right people! W/o these great minds I would poor and depressed, I followed their instructions and it paid off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks