• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problem

rickta24

I am struggling with my new truck. I know it will be worth it in the end though. Been having a hard time starting when engine is warm so I put 2 quarts of ATF in with a tank of diesel. It seemed to be working until today. Now when I try to start the truck it makes a winding sound I have never heard. It doesn't even turn over now. Someone save me please!

scooter01922

While i know almost nothing about the CUCV i do know a thing or 2 about starters and it sounds like yours dosen't feel like engaging the flywheel. Most likely just plain gummed up but you will need to pull it and see. While it's out of the truck and you give it some juice via a jumper cable the bendix at the front should jump forward as if to engage the flywheel, if it dosen't then theres your problem. A thourogh cleaning is in order and if it still won't work them you will need some professional assistance to either rebuild it or replace it. Not sure where it is on a CUCV but i'm gonna guess you can get it out pretty painlessly. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong guys......

LOGGJAM

if the engine is not turning over the winding sound is probably the starter, the starting gear may not be engaging into the fly wheel i have seen that before a few times make sure the batterys are fully charged and or take the starter out and clean the bendix and bench test the starter a few times

rickta24

ok well one of my batteries keeps dying on me so I will try replacing that first and then I'll try the starter. Thanks guys.
I can easily say that I would not have bought an MV if it wasn't for the guys here on steel soldiers. I would never be able to troubleshoot anything without yall because I know nothing about working on cars. I am learning though

scooter01922

Well that could definately cause some alignment issues.....i wouldn't doubt that if you toss a new bolt in your starting woes will dissapear. Or at least the engine will spin over again, as for the initial hard starting, i can't be of much help.

ida34

You might have messed up the flex plate ring gear also. Check to make sure the starter had the rear support in place.

badgmc56

Did you look deep in the bolt hole? You may find whats left of the bolt in the threads. If it is a broken bolt, it's not that big of a deal. Most of the time the bolt either loosens up or the rear support bracket is missing causing the starter to twist and shear off a bolt. You can actually see a starter twist without that rear bracket. There is a jig you can buy for your drill to keep alignment when drilling out the broken piece if you have to go that route.

Somemedic

DO NOT (!) use a chevy 350 starter bolt in its place. The bolts they sell u at Auto-zone aint hard enough but for a few starts and then they snap. Go to a chevy dealer and tell them you need the 6.2 starter bolt. Hell get 4 of them and keep the spares in the glove box. A few months ago I went through this nightmare of having those same bolts snap up inside the block at the threads. Not terribly hard to do with easy outs and a cordless. I think I did it 5-6 times in the span of a month. Also ida said it, get the support that holds up the rear of the starter. There is to much weight placed on those 2 bolts with the constant banging of driving down the road. It looks like a piece of angle iron with a slight bend in it and a couple of oblong holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks