• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problems (again)

Scrambler

My M36A2 had starting trouble before and I replaced the distrubiting(?) pump. (not the one in the tank). Several months ago I used it for the last time when I noticed that the fuel line off the fifth cylinder was broken so fuel all over the engine. I replaced the line but now, after sitting for a few months it won't start anymore. it will when I spray startingfluid in the airfilter. Runs fine, has all the power but when I shut it down, hot or cold, it won't start again, unless I spray in some starterfluid.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before trying to start next time, run the in-tank fuel pump and bleed the fuel system by opening the bleeder valve on top of the secondary/final fuel filter bracket. If you get air bubbles instead of a solid stream of fuel, you should look for an air leak, gaskets, fuel lines.
Did you replace one of the steel high pressure lines or a return (plastic) fuel line?

How are your fuel filters, primary, secondary and final?

Scrambler

No airbubbles when bleeding. Filters are okay. I replaced the steel high pressure line # 5 cylinder with an original (+ same length) line.
When idling I loosened each line (not all at once) at the injector to check for a difference in rpm and each one did make a difference in idling so I figured that they're all working.
Somebody told me the pressure is not enough and by testing to idle with one injector out of the cyl.head but connected gave a stream of fuel of at least 10 feet away. I did that with the # 5.
Because it is running fine and has all the power my guess is somewhere in the pump but I ain't sure bout that... :|

jwaller

some have turned up the fuel on their truck and claim that it helps with starting. I personally doubt this as when you shut the truck off and try to restart you should have wide open fuel till it approaches Idle speed.

poppop

Its a slim possibility on a truck that was running a few months ago but you might need to check the shut down lever in the pump. They can stick and when you push the handle back in it does not turn fuel back on in the pump. There is a small cover on the side of the pump with two screws, pull it off and make sure when the cable goes in the little handle moves towards the front of the truck. I just had to free one up but that truck had been sitting for several years.