• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problems M-1010

dennisS

Question: Just finished the doghead modification on the starting relay, both batteries are fully charged, changed the ignition switch, have a new starter and I still can't get it to even turn over. Just the relay clicking on when I turn on the key. Any ideas?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the relay sound from under the dash? If so you will need to trace and check that wire from the relay to the starter solenoid.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the thick purple wire from the doghead relay to the starter motor. It goes through the bulkhead connector in the firewall under the brake booster.

m38inmaine

As said check the purple wire with white tracer at the starter to see if you are getting power there with the key in the start position, if so the starter is probably bad. I had the purple wire chafe against the vacuum pump and cause all kinds of start problems.

dennisS

Spent the day working on the problem. Purple wire was fine. We finally jumped to the positive bar with jumper cables from our pick-up and it started up...prior to the jump we were reading 13 v. for each battery (I have converted to 12 v.). I'm now going to replace a couple of the battery cables that might be a little suspect. Apparently I need 14 v. for the starter to kick over. Once we got it started and let it run it started up just fine after that. Any more suggestions knowing this? It was reading 14 v. when the truck was off and on.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really need to tell us upfront that you have converted to 12v. Keeps us from wasting a bunch of time.

13v should be plenty to crank the engine. I would load test you batteries to make sure you don't have a dead cell. Many batteriers have been going bad lately. Also your battery cables may be bad as you suspect.

Fully charged batteries should read ~12.5v with the truck not running and ~14.5v with the engine running

Last edited:

admiralking

I just bought a M1009 CUCV from govliquidation.com. When it wouldn't start I checked the relay under the dash. Not only do I need to do the modification but the four wires had a meltdown and fused together. I am in the process of separating and repairing wires. Is the red wire supposed to supply 24 volts? I have the wiring diagrams and I've searched the forums (which are terrific) but I can't determine if the relay is supposed to deliver 12 or 24 volts to the starter solenoid a via the purple wire.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356239726.977890.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1356239784.853727.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks