• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problems with 6.2L

IROC99

Truck (M1009) starts, then will die out, like it has run out of fuel. Then it is very hard to crank. I may have a relay card problem, as it is positional for the Wait light to come on. If truck is warm, less problem, but still takes alot of cranking if it has been sitting a few hours. But everytime it cranks on first try, then dies out. Sometimes I can keep it going with trottle, but not always. Also, can the relay or temp control cause this type of problem.

I have run wvo in truck, but not much, maybe 3 tanks tops. Diesel fuel is in truck now, and still having problem.

Thanks for any help.

BIG_RED

Sound like it could be a Clogged return line. Return line goes off the top off the IP towards the front of the truck. I'd check that first. If pressure builds up too high in the IP it shuts off the truck. You can actually shut-off the truck by pinching the return line. Good luck.

motormayhem

Are you getting any smoke? If so what color? If you pull the black rubber return line off the front of the injector pump you can see if there is a good trickle of fuel from it when it is running.

IROC99

There is some smoke while trying to crank, it tends to be bluish?, but not much. Truck will idle high after cranking, I thought b/c of holding down accelerator, then levels off but does fluctuate up and down for 20 seconds or less before smoothing out.

Oldsouthernboy

Sounds like you have a fuel filter base problem, in your base you have a fuel pressure swicth that can crack and not leak fuel, but allow air to enter system. do a quick easy by pass of the filter and after starting the problem goes away that is the answer. Then you check the threads and do a fuel filter base and filter replacement.

IROC99

Thanks guys, I will try both of the suggestions above. Would the control card cause problems like I described or would it only make it hard to crank, but once cranked it would run fine? Also, if the fuel filter base is cracked, would the truck run OK once it is cranked?

Oldsouthernboy

The base is okay, but the fuel presser sensor cracks. If this is the case, take the base off the truck, remove the sensor. Find a freeze plug that size and press in the body to take the place of the sensor. The sensor is there only for the Staice testing unit.

idM1028

Was wondering why there was a sensor in there...Definitely sounds like a fuel problem to me. I've got my glow plug system running like a champ. Coldest its been here this year is something like 0 degrees even. I don't run a block heater or even anti-gel stuff. Usually the truck fires in 2 or 3 seconds. However, I was having a problem like this a week or so ago. Truck would start up fine, but would stall out and die if I hit the brakes too quick. Sometimes it would start up, kick into fast idle, and then die when it came off fast idle. It seemed to improve once the truck got warmed up and had been driven around for 10-15 minutes or so. I tinkered around with the idle speed on the IP a bit. That helped some. Or at least the engine would "catch" itself before it stalled out. I think it might have been a bit of "funky" diesel in the truck. It seemed to go away after I ran a bottle of fuel system cleaner through it.

sandcobra164

I'll say fuel system related. My Glowplugs are essentially dead and need replacing very soon. Once it's run for about a 5 minutes, there's enough heat left in the heads that it will start 5 hours later or so about the moment I engage the stater. I have had it shut off after a cold start when I didn't keep the RPM's up for about 10 seconds but I blame it on the glow plugs. It always has white smoke pouring out both pipes when trying to crank it when it's cold out since the glow plugs burned out so I know it's getting fuel, just not enough heat to make it go BOOM in my case.

DonK

IROC99...
I had the same troubles after getting mine home. Turns out that my main problem was the 1/4 inch line between the Filter base and the IP. If you haven't already done so, replace it ...it's a PITA....
If you have the resources and knowledge, do the the filter mod. Believe me it helps eliminate many headaches. I had issues with o-rings and other fittings on the stock filter base...2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks