• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problems

mich6212

Ok so I know that it has been covered before after doing some research but I wanted to hear what the experts had to say. BACKGROUND: I had about a quarter tank of fuel and I am about to embark on a 800 some mile trip on Friday so before I left I was able to fill up my tank at work one last time. I was able to get some free samples of JP-5, WMO and hydraulic fluid. I have run this mixture in the past with absolutely no issues as long as I keep around 50% diesel too! I drove it home and parked it for the night and then yesterday morning I go to start the Duece and low and behold it doesn't want to. After several tries it fires up but runs about 4-5 seconds and then shuts down. Recharge the batteries and the same thing-hard starting, run briefly and then off.

I have checked the fuel filters and nothing drains until the pump it turned on. So I assume that means no water? Just in case, I did add a water dispersion additive. I took a sample from the tank and it looks fine however it is kinda "bubbly". Not foamy but lots of air bubbles until it settles. I can also detect what seems to be rubbing alcohol smell about it. Still haven't seen what I would identify as water. I am leaning towards a bad IP but what do you think? Can I crack a line at the injector to see if fuel is getting there? It is definitely getting to the IP. I also found some threads where it might be the pump pick up. Might cherck that too. Please help ASAFP!

tk748462

Lets do the process of elimination. . . after you attempt to start your truck, you checked your filters and nothing at all came out? You should have fuel that filled up your filter canisters. No fuel leaks?? If not, try drain your tank to about 1/4 or so, and try all diesel or diesel and premium gas mixture. I ran into a similar prob when I ran my Duece off 90% waste oil and putting in premium gas really helped (I should of filtered the oil before putting it in the tank). You could also use either ( starter fluid in a can, spraying in air intake continuously) to keep it running and once it's been running for 30 sec or so see if it will stay running, but be careful using that, read all warnings. Just make sure your fuel injector is working properly first then work your way down the line. Good luck!! 2cents

gungearz

On a 800 mile trip, you shouldve considered running straight diesel. Did you tweak your ip for the fuel? Or did you just dump it in and expect to go? Filter change? Accessory switch on and hear the fuel pump?

mich6212

On a 800 mile trip, you shouldve considered running straight diesel. Did you tweak your ip for the fuel? Or did you just dump it in and expect to go? Filter change? Accessory switch on and hear the fuel pump?
It is the same set up I have been running for several months now so no I didnt think to change the settings. And yes the pump is running strong. When I get a second here I am going to pull the filters and check them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks