• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting probs???

TattooKenny

I have a friend looking to buy a stock M35A2 from a guy in SC. It will start up and run for about 1 minute then just die out? It has gas, batteries are good, builds correct pressure? And idea what would cause it to start fine then just cut off after a minute or so? He doesn't want to get it if it is something major? Any help here guys? It has the multi fuel whistler turbo in it.

crazyplowboy

If it starts then dies after it idles for a little bit then it pretty much has to be a fuel issue. My guess would be clogged up fuel filters, or something blocking up the pick up screen on the in tank pump.

grounded

Banned
Also make sure the pickup goes all the way down. some trucks have been known to not go al the way. so you dip it and its got fuel. but it aint low enough to suck any up in the pump.

Also im with crazy check the filters.

dm22630

There are a large number of possibilities.

Try these....

1. When you start the truck, pull the throttle out so the truck will idle @ 1000rpms. A LOT of my trucks will die after you start them if the throttle is not pulled out.

2. The glass fuse for the fuel pump could be burnt out. Your injector pump will pull fuel from the tank, but if the filters are dirty, or if water needs to be drained from the filters, it could cause the truck to stall. *** to check if your fuel pump works, you can simply flip the accessory power to "on"....then go around & listen inside the fuel tank for a humming sound. If you hear it, it works. If you dont, the pump is bad or the fuse is burnt out. ***

3. The injector return lines could be leaking & allowing air to get mixed with the fuel. They are the little 2-3" lines that stretch from one injector to the next. If they are wet, they are leaking. VERY easy to fix.

4. FILTERS

I am sure it is something simple. Its just a matter of figuring out which one of these is causing the problem. I am betting on the throttle.

2cents

50shooter

Could be an in tank fuel supply issue w/either a hole in the fuel line...which I've had or the pickup screen on the tank pump.

Add a couple of gallons of fuel and see if the prob. goes away.

As soon as it dies, kill the master and then check the fuel level in the secondary and final filter cans. If they are partially empty, the prob. may be backwards in the fuel system from there. If full, check all the injector lines.

good luck

50shooter

Couple more things.

If the in tank pump is working well, it should squirt out of the bleeder on top of the sec / final filter housing with a pretty good stream.

I've loosened the fuel line under the radiator where it attaches to the frame. This is very simple. Turn on the master and catch the fuel in a clean jug. If it comes out steady for a minute or two then the problem is further up the fuel system. If it starts and stops and pulses, you may want to check for junk in the tank or an air leak in the line.

TattooKenny

Thanks for all the replies guys:-D I'll let him know. We are going back over to look at it this weekend, I'll try all of the above ideas! You guys are the best!!!!

crazyplowboy

Where is the pickup screen in the tank? Sorry for the dumb question! Is it something he can check and fix?
The screen is on the bottom of the in tank pump, either the pump is settin too low and in what ever kind of filth has filled up the bottom of the tank or as said above it's too high and not getting any fuel at all.
On my truck my fuel pump was too high and I would run out of fuel when the guage still showed 1/4 tank.
It's gotta be something simple tell your buddy to get the truck. I'm sure it isn't anything that other Steelsoldiers members can't figure out.