• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting question?

JetbikeAnt

Hello All, when I purchased my A0 Truck the wait Light came on solid for 7 seconds then went out and she fires right up. When I bought the A2 Truck the Wait Light blinked about 11 times then went out. If its was a little cooler out and she was sitting overnight you really have to crank her to get her fired up and a lot of white smoke poured out. When it was hot with the same sequence on the Wait light she fires right up and has always run great. When I bought the Truck I did not know blinking was bad. I thought it was an A2 thing. I know Idiot, well that's how I feel anyway.

Installed new Glow plugs I purchased from AM Gen. Now the light comes on for 1 second and goes out, but she fires right up. I have a new matched Nartron Smart start system. My question is does a certain amount of blinks give you a code that tells you what's up? Or does anyone know what component should be looked at next, who has had this experience. I would hate to replace my installed unit and have it be the batteries. I'm pretty good with my meter as well. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

papakb

If your engine temp sensor determines that the glow plugs aren't needed they won't come on and the truck will start. Sound familiar?

Action

No code blinks on the WAIT light. I have never had a wait light blink. My KDS White label Smart box would give me a 7-10 second light, even in the middle of FL summer (with a cold engine).

JetbikeAnt

I tried to start the Truck and the wait light started blinking 11 times again. This was after the single Blink I had last time. Checked my batteries 12.6 - 12.6, 25.4, voltage regulator and Alternator 28.2. Cleaned everything and coated with Dielectric Grease. Same blinking pattern at the next attempt of startup. Its been too cold here for the Glow Plugs not to come on. Replaced Smart Start system. Steady 7 second light them varoom. I figured I would give the details for someone else who needs it. I'm surprised no one here as seen this. Problem solved.

Action

after driving some, check the batteries again. 25.4 is low. You can remove all the caps on top of each battery. Check voltage from one post to the first cell, then from that cell to the next. You might find one cell in each battery that is lower than the others.

JetbikeAnt

OK another update. Went to start the Truck. White smoke again. Wait light is correct. 7 second steady. Checked new glow plugs - fried. I'm sure this happened with the old controller. Their all measuring Mega Ohms. My question is this. Did they take out my new smart start system or would the system recognize this and protect itself? Their open, not shorted so I would say I'm OK. After reading some comments from others, now I'm nervous. New glow plugs are on the way. Thanks!

Action

OK another update. Went to start the Truck. White smoke again. Wait light is correct. 7 second steady. Checked new glow plugs - fried. I'm sure this happened with the old controller. Their all measuring Mega Ohms. My question is this. Did they take out my new smart start system or would the system recognize this and protect itself? Their open, not shorted so I would say I'm OK. After reading some comments from others, now I'm nervous. New glow plugs are on the way. Thanks!
"Smart start box" seems to get used loosely these days. Do you have an actual smart start box (with extra unused port inside the cab)?

JetbikeAnt

Final update, hopefully. Installed new Glow plugs. Checked voltage at the AC Tap. Found the cold advance switch was fried and replaced that. Truck starts right up after sitting or hot. Interesting thing with the wait light I wanted to share. When its cold it stays on steady that 7-10 seconds. Depending on how warm the temperature of the block / Ambient is the wait light stays on a shorter period of time. The hotter it is the shorter the lights duration. I dove the vehicle 45 minutes yesterday and it was hot here in PA. Jumped out to buy a beer and jumped back in. The wait light never came on and she fired right up. This morning the Truck sat overnight and it was much cooler. Light came on for that 7-10 seconds and she fired right up. A wait light controlled by the Box, not just a default time programmed. You can see the Smart Start system I used above. So far I must say I like it.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Different boxes control differently. Some measure temperature. Some don’t. KDS green box does not have glow plug control sensors.

Action

Final update, hopefully. Installed new Glow plugs. Checked voltage at the AC Tap. Found the cold advance switch was fried and replaced that. Truck starts right up after sitting or hot. Interesting thing with the wait light I wanted to share. When its cold it stays on steady that 7-10 seconds. Depending on how warm the temperature of the block / Ambient is the wait light stays on a shorter period of time. The hotter it is the shorter the lights duration. I dove the vehicle 45 minutes yesterday and it was hot here in PA. Jumped out to buy a beer and jumped back in. The wait light never came on and she fired right up. This morning the Truck sat overnight and it was much cooler. Light came on for that 7-10 seconds and she fired right up. A wait light controlled by the Box, not just a default time programmed. You can see the Smart Start system I used above. So far I must say I like it.
I am still stuck on driving 1 1/2 hours @ 10 mpg to buy A beer. I hope you got the cute cashier’s number.

JetbikeAnt

If your engine temp sensor determines that the glow plugs aren't needed they won't come on and the truck will start. Sound familiar?
Unfortunately it did not sound familiar at the time when I was struggling and was comparing it to my other Truck which has a KDS unit. It was a great learning experience without a whole lot of help. In the end for the new Box the above statement is 100% correct and now I know.

JetbikeAnt

I am still stuck on driving 1 1/2 hours @ 10 mpg to buy A beer. I hope you got the cute cashier’s number.
With a cold engine 7-10 seconds. As the engine gets warmer to hot the light stays on for a shorter and shorter time until it does not come on when the engine is fully hot. As for the Beer, I was driving back from my mom's and just for the record my buggy get 13 mpg :)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follows the same theory as the $100 hamburger (for those that don't know it, it's the excuse a pilot might use to go take a flight in their airplane)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks