• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting question

jamesonsdad

help with starting question

ok i just got a new oem gm block heater for the 6.2 put in and now she is hesitant to start?? before the block heater key on,light off,peddle about half way after a couple good pumps,turn over and repeat till she fired ...now with the block heater turn key on,light off couple of pumps, peddle bout half way and she doesn't want to start ?? i guess i'm wondering if i'm floodin her now that the block is warm with the heater??? anyone else ever experience the same issue??? any advice??? the glow plugs are new one all read good the tank is full and added a little antigell (been really cold here) i guess i'm stumped....aua

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
I bet its heating the block to the "Naughty temp". There is a VERY narrow range where the glow plugs will not come on and the engine is Just a tad too cold to start on its own. I have had this happen to two of my CUCV's. Not all the time but like I said there is a narrow window. You can try to replace the coolant temp switch and see if a new updated one will work better. For the 10 bucks or so its worth a shot.

Also PUMPING the gas does not do a f-in thing. Its not a carburetor with a accelerator pump. Just hold it all the way down when its below 32* and start it... half way for above 32*... if you have ever looked at the driver side sun visor it tells you how to start the truck.

Last edited:

jamesonsdad

lol....i know pumping don't do jack but it's an old habit from my civi k5's and now that i think about it it was pretty funny i even wrote a habitual thoughtrofl

iamspencer

good thought on the glow plugs not comming on, you will be able to hear if they are coming on or not by the click of the solinoid try cycling they key on and off a bunch of times before you actuall start it., I always have all my trucks on manual glow plug buttons theres a thread on here about it.

jamesonsdad

yeah the solenoid clicks and the light goes out ...i have the heater set on a timer to come on at two intervals during the night and four if it is sitting for 24 hrs or more.i did this so the heater isn't on for hours and my thought was if i cycled it it would keep the block warm without drawing power for a long period of time.possibaly i should just let it come on for awhile before i leave but i am always out and about at odd times....