• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting trouble

otrafxp

I have a problem with my deuce, when i try to start it up it just cranks and will not start. IT only starts if i use starterfluid on it.

when it starts up then i have to ild eit above 1200 rpm or Else it just dies out.

I have replaced the hydrolic head and nozzels on it.

What Can be the problem with it ?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Lift pump good? Filters good? Checked the shut off linkage on the side of the pump to make sure it's free?

dmetalmiki

Did you have this problem before changing the hydraulic Head?. If so check the feul pressure (intank pump ok?) pressures after the fuel filters.
If the problem is after the change, then you have problems! (with the H.H.).

otrafxp

I have changed all filters and the shut off valve under the cover on the side of the pump is moving free.

i had the same problem before i changed the head.

Flyingvan911

What is the temperature outside? When it's below 30 or so I have to give it a shot of starting fluid. Just enough to touch off the diesel. I hold the pedal down for 30 seconds or so to keep it at regular idle rpm then the cylinders are warm enough to keep things running smoothly. Once the oil pressure's been up for a few seconds I'll pull the hand throttle out to about 1,000 rpm or so to warm the engine up to driving temperature.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Was the replacement IP a known good one or new? You said nozzles. Did you have the injectors pop tested/set as well?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Timed properly at TDC on #1? I have installed a HH 180* out before, it wouldn't start without starting fluid, had to have throttle held to keep running, and ran rough really.

otrafxp

I have bypassed the fdc on the fuelpump, checked timing, checked the shut off its free.

When i crank it i Get fuel to the nozzels

It still will not start without starterfluid and have to be above 1000 rpms to run

on the pump the stop plunger is a 6 o clock and not 7 o clock, Can this be mounted wrong ?

What Can be wrong now ?

Last edited:

800summit

Do you have winter grade diesal and do you have the fuel preheater still installed, Mine will start in the teens with the switch on for 15 seconds and leaving the switch on while cranking, after she fires keep the switch engaged until it smooths out. then set the throttle for a 1000rpm.

rlsnide

Have someone look at the fuel shutoff rod with the fuel shut off cover off with the engine NOT running. Does the fuel shutoff rod move forward (towards the front of the truck) when the pedal is pressed and move back when the throttle is depressed? The truck will not run with the fuel shutoff rod at the 6 o'clock position. If it goes to the 7 o'clock position when you press on the pedal you have a governor that is sticking or incorrect positioning on the throttle control lever (the lever that attaches to the throttle linkage. The throttle shaft (shaft coming out of the IP that attaches to the throttle lever)has a straight line casted on the end of the shaft. It should be lined up with the slit in the throttle lever. And also with the slit in the half moon looking piece (not sure what they call that) behind the lever that hits the high speed stop screw and the idle stop screw. You will probably need a mirror to see this. Even though you have fuel at the injectors doesn't mean it will run because some of the fuel is still bypassing around the fuel shutoff collar if the shutoff is moving with the pedal. Check these two things.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
having fuel at the injectors means almost nothing. you will have no way to know if there is enough pressure to inject. i suspect you are 180° out at the HH. very easy mistake to make and you really have to know how it is all set up to correct it, has been covered here hundreds of times. what you describe is a classic symptom of this.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have bypassed the fdc on the fuelpump, checked timing, checked the shut off its free.

When i crank it i Get fuel to the nozzels

It still will not start without starterfluid and have to be above 1000 rpms to run

on the pump the stop plunger is a 6 o clock and not 7 o clock, Can this be mounted wrong ?

What Can be wrong now ?
So you pulled the valve cover and confirmed you're at TDC?