• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting without glow plugs?

cshaw07

when my relay went bad all i had was a big pair of channel locks..... i grabbed the top and bottom of the relay with them to jump it, did that for 3 days until my new relay came :)

PsycoBob

Once the relay's replaced, a single wire to a pushbutton switch. Ground the other side of the switch. It'll only work when the key's on, like the normal glowplug controller.

Turn key to 'Run', push button, wait 15, turn key to 'Start' while holding button. Keep holding button after it starts for a few seconds, then poke it for a few seconds at a time for the first 15-20 seconds of running.

Ether/'starting fluid' eventually finds something hot (glowplug or carbon that's hot from previous start attempt) & breaks things. I ran a wire thru the firewall grommet & installed the switch, then stole all my dad's ether for a few weeks until he got out of the habit of reaching for it. If you can't afford a button & a chunk of wire, you can't afford a new engine. If the glowplugs aren't working, 6.2's seem to be a bear to start even with a warm engine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or read post#12...

PsycoBob

If we were really nice we'd post a pic of the relay with the right connector circled & labeled by the color of the wire going to it. Come to think of it, why isn't that fix & pic a sticky on the CUCV forum? I can get a pic or three for you tomorrow morning if you want to add it, or put it in the CUCV FAQ.

Maybe right next to a stack of "Ether kersploded my 6.2- now with pic's!" thread links. :gimp2:

ODdave

HI GUY I agree with matt,about starting fluid but if you do try it make SURE you crank the engine as you give it a small amount. To mutch then cranking it can cause what I saw at a cal guard shop once,a dump trk that someone did that then when they cranked it over it blew the heads off the block.:shock::shock::shock::shock:
Yea, would love to see the pictures of that:roll:. Starting fluid is not a bad thing when used in moderation. As said other starting aids MUST be disabled before its use. There are times when it is almost nessisary to use it. You guys that just extended crank them till they fire, how hot do you suppose that starter gets? Extreme draw on the bateries at sub zero temps? How about them alts charging at full load to restore that lost energy?

There is absolutely no quality replacement for a properly functioning gp system or starter system but if one is lacking a sniff may be needed. If your going to use it LEARN THE RIGHT WAY.

Last edited:

supermechanic

" a sniff may be needed. If your going to use it LEARN THE RIGHT WAY."
The price for learning the right way can be the price of a new engine.
Sniff means a sniff.
It does not mean soak the filter element.
It does not mean shoot the fluid into the air cleaner snoot till it drips.
Best to have someone at the engine, give a short spray while the engine is cranking.

Ether can be a valuable tool if applied correctly.

All ether is not the same, the stuff you get at the discount auto parts store can wreck an engine.
The starting fluid sold at the big-rig stores has more than just ether in the can.
I hesitate to advocate a single brand name, as this forum is read all over, and what I use might not be available at your parts store.
Read the label on the can. The key phrase on most of the better stuff is "contains upper cylinder lubricant".
The manufacturers admonition against use of starting aids is a clear admission that the majority our current society lacks any technical sense.
"The proper tool , at the proper time, in the proper place."
(steps down from soap box, exits stage left)

Barrman

Going back to original question since we can argue about how much starting fluid it takes to launch a 6.2 head into space forever. Yes, if it is hot enough outside and you have really strong batteries and a starter that turns the engine over really, really fast. A 6.2 can be started cold with no glow plugs. I have done it. 95° and warmer outside with a reduction starter.

However, I have been trying to start an engine in my air conditioned class this week without them and with a direct drive starter. Nope. 74° is not warm enough. Wired up the glow plugs and it lit off in less than a second. Fix your glow plug system or follow the advice already given on how to hot wire it.

CucvFML

I got the glow plugs working using dogheads suggestion thanks to all. Without this site i would have been totally screwed. On the down side i couldnt get it to start, after going through an entire checklist i cracked an injector line and found my ip is just dribbling fuel. Anyone have an extra ip for sale around clarksville tn?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's good advice for the newbe.
I agree you don't need to use starting fluid but in a pinch you can get your truck going. It's not a replacement for the glow plugs. This has been done thousands of times over and over with these trucks and other vehicles. If the stuff was so bad you would not see it for sale every where. There would be an almost daily report of engines exploding. Like all things safe in moderation.

I have owned one of just about every us military vehicle available from motorcycles to tanks. Its not my first rodeo.

The bigger trucks even have ether canisters mounted in the engine compartment and operated from the cab for cold starts.

wayne pick

I agree you don't need to use starting fluid but in a pinch you can get your truck going. It's not a replacement for the glow plugs. This has been done thousands of times over and over with these trucks and other vehicles. If the stuff was so bad you would not see it for sale every where. There would be an almost daily report of engines exploding. Like all things safe in moderation.

I have owned one of just about every us military vehicle available from motorcycles to tanks. Its not my first rodeo.

The bigger trucks even have ether canisters mounted in the engine compartment and operated from the cab for cold starts.
I respect your opinion and experience, but I would not encourage the use of ether to a newbe or anyone new to diesel engines. I have been operating and repairing heavy equipment for thirty years now, and have reluctantly used starting fluid as a last resort to get a key piece of equipment started so it's far from my first rodeo. The use of starting fluid in my trade is allways met with raised eyebrows by true professionals. We don't do it unless we absolutely have to. Apparently the OP took Dogheads advice and got his truck started without the use of starting fluid.

MarcusOReallyus

I got the glow plugs working using dogheads suggestion thanks to all. Without this site i would have been totally screwed. On the down side i couldnt get it to start, after going through an entire checklist i cracked an injector line and found my ip is just dribbling fuel. Anyone have an extra ip for sale around clarksville tn?

Apparently some folks missed that!

So, before you assume your IP is toast, have you checked to see if it's getting enough fuel? Could be a leak in a fuel line, bad fuel pump, clogged filter....

Lots of reasons to get nothing out of a perfectly good IP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks