• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starts but won't keep running

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the son unit took the CUCV mudding and it came back not running.......
He said it wouldn't start and they had put a new starter on it... Now I'm kinda mad as that was a new direct drive starter and he put a gear reduction unit on it.
He put new batteries (it is converted to 12VDC) and we get it to fire off. Ran like crap.
Sounded kinda like it had dropped a cylinder and had excessive blow-by.
Fast forward 2 weeks. Son unit pulls it to the shop and starts taking it apart so we can determine which cylinder is the issue. With the intake off, he started it and it ran fine till he turned the key off.
Now he puts it back together, installs the Banks turbo he bought off ebay. All buttoned up and now it's back to firing but won't stay running. It was dark out so I'm not sure what color the smoke from the exhaust was while cranking the engine. I pulled the return fuel line and had him crank the engine and I got straight fuel, no bubbles...
Any ideas?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your son is not telling you the whole story. How much mudding did he do? How deep in the mud did he get? Was he racing the engine while stuck? It could be a simple thing or multiple of things causing the issues.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine ground?

richingalveston

I have a compression gauge and correct adaptors to check through the glow plugs if you need to borrow it. I travel to college station a lot Will be going tomorrow morning. I could probably meet you somewhere on 290 and let you borrow it.

this way you know if it is valves or cylinder and not a fuel or electrical issue.

Rich

Barrman

What are you doing wasting time with a 6.2 when you have a Ford powered M715 to get finished?

The sometimes bad and sometimes ok part makes me think fuel system. Did you replace the lift pump when you put the Banks kit on? That kit makes the pump pretty much un reachable once all buttoned up is why I ask and a possible though not likely part of the problem. A more likely part in the same area is the fuel hose to the pump. It can get smooshed by the motor mount and cut off fuel. I hate to say it, but just by looking at the K5 your son unit had at your shop the last time I was there. I have a feeling the truck was driven hard which could get the motor mounts to moving a good bit.

Rich's suggestion of compression check is a sure fire way to figure out where to look next though.

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He did not replace the lift pump...
Thats why I'm thinking fuel. It tries real hard to start but just won't quite do it. I had already replaced the IP when we first got it.

Well, I worry no more, He just called and said he has sold it...
****, I liked that truck but, it was his to do with as he wanted....

francisf16

My M1009 is doing the same thing after converting to 12v. I changed the lift pump to an in-line electric when I added the turbo and it has been working fine. The tank is full of fresh diesel and I changed the fuel filter. When I try to bleed the filter, you can hear the pump running but no fuel is getting to the filter or coming out the bleed tube. I'm stumped.

Barrman

This is going to be more questions than answers.

Are you sure the inline electric pump is actually pumping or just running? I have had several new pumps the last few years last a few starts and then die internally.

If the pump is actually good, is the rubber hose at the fuel tank new or 30 years old with a possible crack letting air in and not giving you any suction?

Is the "sock" inside the fuel tank clean and not gummed over blocking fuel flow?

Is there actually at least 5 gallons in the tank?

Do you have the fuel filter installed correctly and not some weird way that would block fuel flow?

You might want to start your own thread if this goes on more.

DrillerSurplus

I just had diesel forklift that I got a few years ago on GL with 4 cyl Isuzu start acting up all of a sudden. It would start, run for a minute then it could barely idle. Short version of long story, after pulling the top of the fuel tank off, couldn't get much through the steel pick up tube (which has a screen). It turned out that a little piece of fuzz was stuck in the 90 degree fitting where pick up tube came out of the top of the tank- Weird!

francisf16

This is going to be more questions than answers.

Are you sure the inline electric pump is actually pumping or just running? I have had several new pumps the last few years last a few starts and then die internally. I will check that next.

If the pump is actually good, is the rubber hose at the fuel tank new or 30 years old with a possible crack letting air in and not giving you any suction? I have not dropped the tank yet, that was going to be a last resort since it is full lof diesel.

Is the "sock" inside the fuel tank clean and not gummed over blocking fuel flow? again, last resort.

Is there actually at least 5 gallons in the tank? tank is full.

Do you have the fuel filter installed correctly and not some weird way that would block fuel flow? I do have it correctly installed, referenced the -20 procedure.

You might want to start your own thread if this goes on more.
Thanks for all your help!

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 is doing the same thing after converting to 12v. I changed the lift pump to an in-line electric when I added the turbo and it has been working fine. The tank is full of fresh diesel and I changed the fuel filter. When I try to bleed the filter, you can hear the pump running but no fuel is getting to the filter or coming out the bleed tube. I'm stumped.
Is the pump pushing air from the bleed screw? If so, you have issues between the electric fuel pump and the fuel in the tank.
I had an over the road truck drive me crazy until I associated the fuel problems with the tank being below 1/2 full. Pulled the fuel pick up tube and found a hole in it.
Check your fuel lines between the tank and electric pump first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks