• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starts & Runs

Seth_O

I (semi) recently won a bid on an M35. Currently just waiting for my EUC to clear (52 days and counting) so I can go pick it up. Like many folks mine had the ubitquitous and slightly encouraging 'Starts & runs' description. While doing my wait-research I've read many posts about the condition buyers have found their truck in upon pickup.

So this makes me wonder about what I could possibly find when I get there (650 miles away.)

I would like to hear from winners the actual condition of their 'starts & runs' truck upon pickup. Not what you heard about, or what it could have been, but what yours really was. Good or bad. And if you've got pic's, so much the better.

ARDUECE

what base. ive been lucky. all the trucks that ive one have been running condition unknown and the only thing they needed was batteries or brake fluid or filters.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starts and runs could mean it was driven in or it might mean the GL rep started the truck and nothing more. It does not tell you how well it runs. I got a truck once that was listed as RUNS. Well, it did run...but it made a helluva racket (loose bolts on flywheel!). So, did they lie? Probably not...but it was not what I thought they meant by RUNS. Caveat emptor.

LanceRobson

Well, Seth.....On one "starts and runs" M35A2 Cwe found both front brake cylinders leaking, the master cylinder bone dry and a badly leaking rear main seal. It took some work and stress but we were able to get the brakes working and got it home under it's own power. The clutch was slipping for the last 4-5 miles of a 120 mile trip.

We also had a M1008 that "starts and runs" with a blown clutch pack in the transmission so there was no 3rd or reverse.

We have also lost count of the ones that had no drama or excitement.

Lance

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my "starts and runs" trucks ran fine, stopping was the problem (bad brakes). I've also bought trucks that were "running condition unknown" and they fired right up.

I've only bought 1 truck that didn't have brake issues. I tend to buy on the lower price scale though.

bgekky3

The deuce that I bought that said "driven in" had a bad transmission. I did drive it home, in second gear. I was about 25 miles away. The trip took longer than expected though.

Seth_O

Well, Seth.....On one "starts and runs" M35A2 Cwe found both front brake cylinders leaking, the master cylinder bone dry and a badly leaking rear main seal. It took some work and stress but we were able to get the brakes working and got it home under it's own power. The clutch was slipping for the last 4-5 miles of a 120 mile trip.

We also had a M1008 that "starts and runs" with a blown clutch pack in the transmission so there was no 3rd or reverse.

We have also lost count of the ones that had no drama or excitement.

Lance
This is what makes me nervous. I have limited time from pickup date to get it 650 miles back to my house. I am mechanically inclined and can do simple stuff, but won't have the tools to do a major overhaul, or move about heavy components (like a tranny, for example.)

I've had a couple of folks offer help for when the time comes, hopefully those offers are still good when my EUC finally clears. I may need it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worse case you have a local wrecker tow it to a public storage and for maybe $60.00 a month you store it till you figure a new plan.

whyme

mine was "driven onto lot, does not start." won my bid and had a member go check it out a week before my load out. he reported back no brakes. paid a wrecker $400 to move it a hundred miles closer to me. new batteries and some fresh diesel and it started right up. the brakes are still an issue though.

plan for the worst case and go from there. my theory is if the engine blows up on the way home ill need a tow, if the brakes go ill need body bags. take your time and make sure everything is in order. see if you can find a local to check it out while they are loading out, maybe you'll get lucky like me and find someone here that will lend a hand.

Seth_O

Seems like brake problems are fairly common. Thats a little scary when considering it's a 14k lb missile going down the road with no way to stop.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like brake problems are fairly common. Thats a little scary when considering it's a 14k lb missile going down the road with no way to stop.
Yup, that's why many people pay to have them shipped home,especially your first one,and you have no experiance with these trucks.

What's your plan for insurance and licensing it for the trip home? Trip permits are easy in some places and not so, in others.

Seth_O

Will definitely be insured for the trip. I will be getting a temp permit from the fabulous state of Kalifornia. Hopefully I am only driving the truck a few miles to another SS members yard, and we'll be going through it together before it hits the road for real. Then a few test runs (think 50-75 miles each) before the big drive.

stumps

Mine was driven onto the lot. It needed batteries, its brakes were flat, with one leaky wheel cylinder. It had one flat tire (stem broken off), and two dry rotted tires, one missing a 6 inch piece of tread. All other fluids were topped off, and it was full of diesel.

We pressure bled the brakes, put in new batteries, started her up, and drove to a place where I bought some new tires. I then drove 1200 miles home.

Your luck seems to depend on the quality of the GL employee that runs the lot.

-Chuck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will definitely be insured for the trip. I will be getting a temp permit from the fabulous state of Kalifornia. Hopefully I am only driving the truck a few miles to another SS members yard, and we'll be going through it together before it hits the road for real. Then a few test runs (think 50-75 miles each) before the big drive.

That sounds like a great plan. As a backup, does the other person have a tow-bar available?

Seth_O

That sounds like a great plan. As a backup, does the other person have a tow-bar available?
Good question, and to be honest I am not sure. He did mention though that there is a tow company immediately off base that has been very helpful in the past. Worst-case scenario I get them to drag it off-base for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks