• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starts & Runs

whyme

you are limited on the amount of time you can spend on the lot and also in what you can and cant do. i suggest having everything in order before you show up. if no tow bar then id have the wrecker on site and ready.

Jimma

I recently picked up two trucks that were sold as starts and runs. A M35A2 and a M818. Each time I took what I considered the very simple basics. Some tools, extra gallon of oil, 5 gallons of new diesel, starting fluid, diesel 911, a set of jumper cables, a small compressor and someone else who could help me if needed. I was very fortunate. In each case the trucks had new batteries, full tanks of fuel, new tires and started up instantly. I admit that I was very fortunate. Maybe you can call the GL location and ask specific questions before you go there to pick it up or have a SS member go over and look for you or meet you there on the day of pickup. Good luck.

crownjewel4

Starts and Runs

I recently picked up my first Duece from Mechanicsburg PA. It was listed as "Driven In" and "Does not start".

It was my first Duece recovery, and my drive home was 160 miles. I came prepared, probably over prepared. Search the threads for what to take along, the list someone created was very helpful. Be sure to take at least 10 gallon of fuel. Seems that if they had fuel when brought in, the longer they are there, the less fuel they have.

After going over the truck thoroughly. We hooked up a slave cable to a running 5 ton. It roared to life in a second. Stopped at a truck stop just off base, and fueled it to the top. My father ran the chase vehicle, and my brother-in-law rode shot gun. I have recovered 12 MV's over the last few years, and this one was by far the most fun.

Be safe, brakes are the biggest concern. Hard enough getting a 10K GVW truck rolling, let alone stopping one. Have a back up plan in place if you can not drive away with it. We had a local Heavy Tow Shoppe on standby. Better to be safe than regret something. 650 miles is a hike.
Good luck,
Keep us posted,

Attachments

Seth_O

First stage of my recovery is complete. In my case 'starts and runs' meant started instantly and ran like a CHAMP. Half a tank of diesel. It had one bad wheel cylinder, so we towed it off base (bummer having a $200 tow bill over a $25 part, but I felt much better having it towed off base regardless.)