• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

startup issue?

guns1977

My multi fuel deuce has been working and running fine until.....I went to start it and usually fires right up everytime, it was slugglish, it turned over and over then eventually fired off, I drove/worked it as planned and when shut it off for me a break went back a hour later and still the same issue, luckally it finally started up. I checked to see if the electric fuel pump was working it was, I let it site overnight and it took 90 seconds to fill the lines and bypass back to the tank, seems fine? correct? I checked the pre fuel filter and clean fuel came out. possible primary filters need changing? The tank is clean I cleaned it out 100% about a year ago got ride of all the crud in the bottom, the motor turns over like it's not getting fuel, next step change fuel filters? correct? or could the kill cable be sticking in the injector pump? just wanted more expert advice so I know what direction to go.
Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's been a year, starting with new filters(3) is a good idea.

welldigger

Sounds more like you have an air leak in a fuel line somewhere. To test this simply turn on the main power and then crack the bleeder valve on the secondary fuel filters until a steady stream of fuel comes out. Then close the valve and see if the truck fires up normally.

Jeepsinker

Yep. My in tank pump has started working intermittently and now mine starts this way some mornings. Just bleed the air and it'll save you some injector pump life.

guns1977

Sounds more like you have an air leak in a fuel line somewhere. To test this simply turn on the main power and then crack the bleeder valve on the secondary fuel filters until a steady stream of fuel comes out. Then close the valve and see if the truck fires up normally.
I will check it out tomorrow

guns1977

I opened the bleeder on the secondary fuel filters and waited and waited so I closed it and waited and opened it to see if I heard air, with the buzzer going off I did not hear a hiss or anything and waited, how long should it take to get fuel to them? with the truck eventually starting it shouldn't be a blockage. Could the elec fuel pump be weak and not enough pressure to pump up to the secondary filters. Any other idea's?
Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Less than a minute or two.

It could have fallen apart.

Do you have fuel at the primary filter with the in tank pump running?

Pull the line at the tank and see if you have fuel there if you have no flow at the primary.

Service your filters.

guns1977

Less than a minute or two.

It could have fallen apart.

Do you have fuel at the primary filter with the in tank pump running?

Pull the line at the tank and see if you have fuel there if you have no flow at the primary.

Service your filters.
Yes I have flow to the primary its a spin located on the right frame chanel, before the line goes up to the injector pump and secondary filters, it's not a spray more like a gravity drain. The fuel pump came apart? I waited probably close to 4-5 min when I tried to bleed it at the secondaries and no fuel.

welldigger

Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to a minute to fill the primary and secondary filters. If you have flow to the orimary but not to the secondary check the fuel line that runs under the radiator to see if it got crushed somehow. If that looks ok pull your in tank pump and make sure it is all there and the bottom didn't come apart. Also check the discharge line from the pump for holes and cracks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was starting hard. Come to find out the screen on the bottom of the in-tank pump had gummed up from all the crap in the tank.

guns1977

Ok I had a chance to pull the pump, the screen was 90% clean, the rubber line and clamps were questionable. I replaced the rubber line and clean the screen so it was 100% clean. Reinstalled and opened the bleed screw on secondary filters, after 1.5-2 mins I got fuel, it wasn't squirting out but kinda dribblen out with no pressure behind it, so I tried to start the truck it still took a good bit of turning over to crank, I opened the bleed screw again with the motor running to see if there was any air and go foamy/air in the fuel, so I'm assuming I need a new electric fuel pump correct?
Thanks for all the help.

welldigger

Ok I had a chance to pull the pump, the screen was 90% clean, the rubber line and clamps were questionable. I replaced the rubber line and clean the screen so it was 100% clean. Reinstalled and opened the bleed screw on secondary filters, after 1.5-2 mins I got fuel, it wasn't squirting out but kinda dribblen out with no pressure behind it, so I tried to start the truck it still took a good bit of turning over to crank, I opened the bleed screw again with the motor running to see if there was any air and go foamy/air in the fuel, so I'm assuming I need a new electric fuel pump correct?
Thanks for all the help.
You should be getting 5-7psi from the in tank pump. If it is just dribbling out and there are no major leaks then it would seem a new pump would be in order.

The $50 egay pump seems to be a popular one. Better made and a drop in fit. The price is great too.

Jeepsinker

If you are getting foamy fuel with the engine running then you have a line sucking air somewhere. My in tank pump does not work, but if I crank it up with the secondary filter air bleed screw open I get a solid geyser of fuel about a foot tall. I know this because I did this all including checking the in tank pump two days ago. The booster pump on the side of the injector pump should pull all the fuel it needs without the help of the electric pump unless you have a line sucking air.

guns1977

If you are getting foamy fuel with the engine running then you have a line sucking air somewhere. My in tank pump does not work, but if I crank it up with the secondary filter air bleed screw open I get a solid geyser of fuel about a foot tall. I know this because I did this all including checking the in tank pump two days ago. The booster pump on the side of the injector pump should pull all the fuel it needs without the help of the electric pump unless you have a line sucking air.
I thought it may have been air left in the secondary filters where the elec pump did not fill it up all the way, I went thru ALL the fuel lines and snugged them up.

welldigger

Keep in mind the booster pump can cavitate if it is not fed a steady stream of fuel. The booster pump is designed to pressurize the system to about 75psi. Not draw fuel from the tank.

Jeepsinker

Roger that. I figured it would pull fuel by itself just fine, didn't think about cavitation. Was just stating what was happening with my truck and a non functioning in tank pump.

Adrian A

I just went through this too. If you have not driven much. Maybe you should take it out to circulate all the air out. It took a bit for mine to clear out. That is after you are sure you have NO fuel leaks for are to suck back into the lines.

welldigger

Roger that. I figured it would pull fuel by itself just fine, didn't think about cavitation. Was just stating what was happening with my truck and a non functioning in tank pump.
Will the booster pump draw fuel from the tank? Absolutely. There are many people, such as yourself, who have a non-functional in tank pump. As long as the system stays primed its no big deal. However, if you change filters or spring any form of air leak in the system it becomes difficult to reprime everything.

In this case since he appears to not have any leaks dumping fuel on the ground or back into the tank the 2 most likely causes for the dribble of fuel is either a bad pump or a restriction in a line.

Jeepsinker

That sucks. I was hoping it would be a simple fix for him. Well, simple being a relative term here. Even an in tank pump swap should be exceedingly easy here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks