• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stays running after turn key off

bht50

I searched and couldnt find anything on this. I was driving my 1008 home the other afternoon it was getting dark so i turned on the headlights. All the outside lights came on and were working brake lights reverse lights all working normal except the dash lights. They were very dim and both turn arrows were glowing green but when i used the turn signals they flashed normally and the outside signals were working. The alt. gauge was also showing that it was not charging were it normally does it was lower and the fasten seatbelt light was on even though I had my seatbelt fastened. When I got home the headlight switch was still in the on postion with the lights on and I turned the ingition off and took out the key but the truck stayed running normally. I turned the headlight switch to off and the truck shut off. Restarted the truck same exact thing headlight switch on truck stayed running without key turn off the headlights truck shut off if key was out. If the key is in on position truck runs fine either way. Also if i dont have the headlight switch on everything is normal starts and runs and shuts off normally. Never done this before some sort of ground issuie? Everything else in the truck was working normally, radio, heater, wipers no problems.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grounds are the first thing i'd start with. Neat problem, keep us posted on the outcome of it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar problem once with a gas truck of the same era. I think I recall the headlight grounds were bad and it was running off the alternator output, once the key was off(with lights on). It was a long time ago, and it isn't clear to me now, what I found. Sorry

bht50

Ok heres the update on the problem. I thought it was the headlight switch because ive been having problems with it since I got the truck. So I started the truck to go to the parts store to get a new one. The truck started but was making a weird noise so I popped the hood and saw smoke rolling off the starter. Shut the truck off and the smoke stopped but it was too late the starter was toast. It was just put in there about 3 months ago and is a new 24v gear reduction starter. Anyway I take it back to the shop that put it in and went ahead and had a new starter relay put in too as well as the new headlight switch. Go to pick the truck up today and it wont start nothing lights all come on but wont turn over. Mechanic comes out and meses with it and says the plug wasnt pushed in all the way and sure enough it started. I was checking all the lights and they were good shut off the truck tried to restart and it started but the starter stayed on! Pulled the battery cable on front battery starter still cranking!! Mechianic comes back out and tells me he went ahead and switched it to 12v. Said he checked and was told the 24v starter would work fine running from one battery at 12v. Obviously it didnt.... I was not real happy and made him switch it back to 24v. We pulled the new starter relay out and put the old one back in and it worked fine. Anyway rechecked all the lights and everything was working fine. Started and turned off several times before leaving and everythings fine. So now Im on way home (about 30 miles from the mechanic). About 20 miles down the road notice trucks vibrating horrible and making weird noises. Couldnt figure out what was happening now then BAM the passengerside rear tire blows out. Get pulled over and have a spare but no jack or 4-way. So call my mechanic back up and he sends out a tow truck and changes my tire. Drove the rest of the way home no problems seems to be running fine and all the lights are working and the truck shuts off the way it should. The only thing I can figure is the headlight switch had something to do with it. Im just happy its running ok now.

motormayhem

Ok heres the update on the problem. I thought it was the headlight switch because ive been having problems with it since I got the truck. So I started the truck to go to the parts store to get a new one. The truck started but was making a weird noise so I popped the hood and saw smoke rolling off the starter. Shut the truck off and the smoke stopped but it was too late the starter was toast. It was just put in there about 3 months ago and is a new 24v gear reduction starter. Anyway I take it back to the shop that put it in and went ahead and had a new starter relay put in too as well as the new headlight switch. Go to pick the truck up today and it wont start nothing lights all come on but wont turn over. Mechanic comes out and meses with it and says the plug wasnt pushed in all the way and sure enough it started. I was checking all the lights and they were good shut off the truck tried to restart and it started but the starter stayed on! Pulled the battery cable on front battery starter still cranking!! Mechianic comes back out and tells me he went ahead and switched it to 12v. Said he checked and was told the 24v starter would work fine running from one battery at 12v. Obviously it didnt.... I was not real happy and made him switch it back to 24v. We pulled the new starter relay out and put the old one back in and it worked fine. Anyway rechecked all the lights and everything was working fine. Started and turned off several times before leaving and everythings fine. So now Im on way home (about 30 miles from the mechanic). About 20 miles down the road notice trucks vibrating horrible and making weird noises. Couldnt figure out what was happening now then BAM the passengerside rear tire blows out. Get pulled over and have a spare but no jack or 4-way. So call my mechanic back up and he sends out a tow truck and changes my tire. Drove the rest of the way home no problems seems to be running fine and all the lights are working and the truck shuts off the way it should. The only thing I can figure is the headlight switch had something to do with it. Im just happy its running ok now.
What an adventure :-D, but glad to see it all worked out.

bht50

well maybe i spoke to soon, i just went out and tested her out. Now the headlight issuie is back:evil:. I guess i should just be happy it starts and runs, ill dig into the short later. I guess its kinda cool i can leave it running with out the key though..... well as long as the light are on anyway:-D.

motormayhem

well maybe i spoke to soon, i just went out and tested her out. Now the headlight issue is back:evil:. I guess i should just be happy it starts and runs, ill dig into the short later. I guess its kinda cool i can leave it running with out the key though..... well as long as the light are on anyway:-D.
I'm thinking maybe the pink wire on you ip (fuel cutoff solenoid) is shorting on the headlights. Although it is kinda cool be be able to lock it in park and go into a store with it running.

bht50

I know its been awhile but I finally found the problem. It has been doing this intermittantly since I made this post and today it would not start in the wal mart parking lot. I reached under the dash and jiggled the starter solenoid cause that uaslly does the trick and it did but the short was back with the lights, turn signals and engine not shutting off. I got home ready to just sell the stupid thing and gave it one last look under the dash and found a ground wire hanging. I reattached it and bam the problem was solved unhooked it and it came back. So I secured it nine ways from sunday and no more problem. Must have been loose and making intermitant connections the whole time. Easy fix but took forever to find.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Mine did this--kept running when key turned off without burning up the starter-- after I had some "professional" wiring work done on it. Turned out one of the--hey since you're doing this other stuff, how bout adding in a hard wired cigarette lighter. Guy did a POS spade to the fuse box. So ensure there is nothing in the fuse box that ain't suppose to be there also.

bht50

oh there are wires going to the fuse box that are not factory, actually the ground wire I was talking about being loose definatly does not look factory I traced it back and there are at least two wires spliced into it one of which grounds the after market radio. Its ugly but everything works so who am I to undo what somebody else did:)