• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

STE/ICE Delete

tgejesse

Has anyone unwired their STE/ICE harness? Are there any known electrical impacts do doing so?

I’d like to use the plug for something cooler like power to my radio tray or secret ignition cutoff etc.
I’ve searched here and everyone agrees it’s useless, however, not many people talk about unwiring it.

thoughts?!

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone unwired their STE/ICE harness? Are there any known electrical impacts do doing so?

I’d like to use the plug for something cooler like power to my radio tray or secret ignition cutoff etc.
I’ve searched here and everyone agrees it’s useless, however, not many people talk about unwiring it.

thoughts?!
There was a really good thread here about it and you could probably find it if the search worked

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should have no effect if removed IIRC there is no circuit going "through" the STE/ICE harness, to say nothing will stop working when it is removed.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Right?! The search isn’t great at all
SEARCH is Not great at all...

That is the understatement of the year and if there was a suck award - this search engine should have the gold plated version of that award. You will get better results with any commercial search engine using this:

Plug this line into any search engine other than the one on this site:
site:www.steelsoldiers.com "STE/ICE"

Your search topic is in quotes...

At least that way you get something useful...

papakb

99% of all search engines suck! We're spoiled by Google and expect all search engines to behave as well, well, they don't. Search engines cost money to develope and most companies buy something off the shelf that might, kinda sorta, maybe does what they want! Most fail. Another one of the all time award winners is Amazon. Don't even think about putting a dimension of any kind into their search engine and if you do it conveniently gets left out of their replies. Dimensions just aren't their thing.

tgejesse

99% of all search engines suck! We're spoiled by Google and expect all search engines to behave as well, well, they don't. Search engines cost money to develope and most companies buy something off the shelf that might, kinda sorta, maybe does what they want! Most fail. Another one of the all time award winners is Amazon. Don't even think about putting a dimension of any kind into their search engine and if you do it conveniently gets left out of their replies. Dimensions just aren't their thing.
Google has to index the entire www, a local forum search engine has to run a singular search for key words against a local known database. I agree not all engines are created equal but yeah this one sucks LOL

springer1981

thoughts?!
I'll tell you my thoughts because I thought the same thing as you.

I thought I would like to get a mating connector to be able to use some of the signals from it. For example, there is a tach sensor on the motor and the only place it goes it to the STE/ICE connector. You could tap the connector and hook up a tach and it would work and not have to run all the wire for the tach. The reality is the mating connector is hard to come by, it is very expensive new ($400ish iirc), hard to find new, specific to military vehicles and last it's LARGE.

Leaving the connector connected in place doesn't look good to say the least. An alternative solution is to unscrew the connector and tie wrap it out of the way under the truck and just leave it there rather than completely removing it. Then make a piece of aluminum to fill the hole and put in a smaller connector or two for whatever you want. That way it would be easy to revert back to stock and you could put in less expensive and easy to find connectors.

Last edited:

royg

I've done it and have been pleased with the results.
Nothing depends on it for the hmmwv to operate.
I would even argue it's more robust and reliable without it as the power it always has in it could introduce a current draw, battery drain, location to short, if damaged.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/easy-feasible-to-delete-ste-ice-r.205352/

I like the simplification. I like not having the pressure transducer on the fuel filter, the extra connections on the starter & battery compartment.

I will say the big connector is no joke. the thing is potted in epoxy. each terminal is like a 1.5" brass connection surrounded by a rubberish field. quality. It was a challenge to gut without damaging the aluminum shell. I ended up using a bridgeport mill to router the contents out.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Google has to index the entire www, a local forum search engine has to run a singular search for key words against a local known database. I agree not all engines are created equal but yeah this one sucks LOL
It sucks because of a few reasons.

1. There's over 75 gigs of data to this forum alone.
2. It's a SQL database. Trying to search on three letters by default doesn't work. It's a limitation.
3. Most people just punch something into a search and think a result will come out they're after. Let's say you plug in "glow plugs". Well, without refining the search to limit to a specific forum, or adding in other related words, you're going to get results for everything here.
4. People have created most of the data here. There's typos. You have no idea how many times I've corrected titles where people have misspelled things. And that very title will either get you interested in a topic or not.
5. The site is 23 years old. There's been data lost over the years to be honest. From software conversions to honestly just negligence in the past.

I'd suggest searching with the google search link on the home page. It can find 3 letter words easier. I'd also recommend adding in other words to weight the search IE: HMMWV. And maybe other words like delete, removal, relocate? Terms that might describe what you're after. Or if anyone knows any of the details of the speculated post about this topic, I probably can find it if they recall the username or maybe the thread title or words in the title.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I've done it and have been pleased with the results.
Nothing depends on it for the hmmwv to operate.
I would even argue it's more robust and reliable without it as the power it always has in it could introduce a current draw, battery drain, location to short, if damaged.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/easy-feasible-to-delete-ste-ice-r.205352/

I like the simplification. I like not having the pressure transducer on the fuel filter, the extra connections on the starter & battery compartment.

I will say the big connector is no joke. the thing is potted in epoxy. each terminal is like a 1.5" brass connection surrounded by a rubberish field. quality. It was a challenge to gut without damaging the aluminum shell. I ended up using a bridgeport mill to router the contents out.
For the hobbiest... not much if any real world use IMO... Cup holder, ash tray, secret hide de hole, bomb bay door, LOL.

A real use for a real pressure transducer is what I did years ago. See pictures and decide if its for you. Good to know fuel pressure (4 PSI or more) when trouble shooting. Twenty buck, twenty minutes and simple peace of mind.

One can read here on SS all of the headaches of fuel go-no go, what if's. Head scratching while the hood is up is now, right before your eyes 👀

Also, backup to the oil pressure gauge...just in case. Use your imagination in the modification. Cheap insurance at home or side of the road.

IMG_5514.jpg IMG_5510.jpg AND OIL IMG_6407.jpg IMG_5509.jpg
Posted a time or two..............Thank me later, LOL

The more U know, CAMO

NEIOWA

As Giggle is a despicable bunch of anti-America leftists who is to be avoided at all costs, I guess is an endless loop. Or use duckduckgo.com which works pretty well.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve got a STE/ICE. I’ve used it on my M35 and M1009. The M1009 has one of those giant plugs. In a weird kind of way it adds to the “militaristic” look. It’s one of those things that you may never use but if you need it, you need it now.

papakb

If you take alook at the pinout for the STE/ICE connector you'll see that you can run a whole lot of diagnostice thru it even if you don't have a STE/ICE kit. Battery voltage, alternator output, starting current, and you can even bypass the control box and start your trucj with just a simoe jumper wire so it's a whole lot more that some unused plug on the floor!

STE-ICE pinout.jpg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. Would be pretty straightforward to build an Arduino based A/D converter with display for an electronic read-out of the signals.
For God’s sake speak English Man! I really want to understand how to use stuff like this but electrical is my Kryptonite. Really smart people here.

JanR

Interesting. Would be pretty straightforward to build an Arduino based A/D converter with display for an electronic read-out of the signals.
I had the same idea in 2020. I used a Pro mini and a Nextion touch screen display. The µC filters the signals digitally and sends the info to the display. At power loss the values are saved to EEPROM. The STE/ICE RPM sensor and a hall effect sensor are connected to the µC interrupts to measure RPM and speed. It will be interesting to see how it works in the humvee. Hopefully I'll find some time to install it during the summer.

DigitalDisplay.JPG

Sigi

I had the same idea in 2020. I used a Pro mini and a Nextion touch screen display. The µC filters the signals digitally and sends the info to the display. At power loss the values are saved to EEPROM. The STE/ICE RPM sensor and a hall effect sensor are connected to the µC interrupts to measure RPM and speed. It will be interesting to see how it works in the humvee. Hopefully I'll find some time to install it during the summer.

View attachment 865859
Very nice. Sounds like a good project for long dark winter months.

Sigi

For God’s sake speak English Man! I really want to understand how to use stuff like this but electrical is my Kryptonite. Really smart people here.
Sorry. The signals on the connector are a combination of analog (changing resistor or voltage values) and digital (voltage pulses). There are many small/cheap micro controllers with built-in input and output. Arduino is one of them. $10-20 for the basic micro-controller that can be programmed from your laptop. These microcontrollers have built in analog to digital converters (A/D) allowing you to read the signals from the connector. Programming these things is pretty straightforward if you enjoy that kind of tinkering.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks